Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybosy changed their weight of oil since 5-30 is really thin? I changed my oil this weekend and it was like pour water into a glass that's how thin it was. I switched to 10-40 since it is alittle thicker.

·
on line
355 Posts
i just changed my oil and kept 5w-30. Its factory specified cuz its the correct weight. I dont need 10W-30 since it doesnt get too cold here. All you did by using 10W-40 is reduce your gas mileage, whether or not you really notice.

·
on line
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have not notice a chance in gas mileage yet but I will keep an eye open to see if there is a change. I was just worried about how thin the 5w-30 gets.

·
on line
355 Posts
i doubt anyone would notice a change in engine performance between different oil grades. Its just theoretical. But, the factory chose the best oil for the engine and put it in the manual. An oil should not be judged by how thin it is. Look at synthetic oil sometime.

:brilsmurf:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
As long as it doesn't get cold where you are, you should be ok...but...there are reasons why Nissan specifies 5w30...and I trust their engineers did their homework before suggesting that weight in their engines.

Thicker oil isn't always better.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well, I been studying oil for a long time, the weight of the oil misleads a lot of people, thinner is better. Most engine wear is upon startup, that is why we have a Oil Filter that prevents backflow, to keep oil at the ready for the start (Anti Drainback) Same reason lower viscosity number is better 5W will flow to moving parts a lot quicker than 10W will, a LOT quicker. Our engine is tight, you need a thin oil to fit into the tight places.
This is all layman's terms, don't make me get technical!

Copy and paste from Amsoil site:
LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS
Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil
SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
SAE 5W-30 XL Synthetic Motor Oil
Above 0°F......10W-30, 10W-40
All Temps......5W-30[1]
Manual Transmission,.....GL-4
75W-85[2]
Notice the 0W 30W? This is popular in many race cars as of late. Can it be? yep! So no matter the weight so much as what it does. Odd eh? They been doing this to meet EPA requirements and get better MPG.

From http://www.amsoil.com/articlespr/2007/pr_ASM.aspx

My wife's car uses this, 0W 20W (Honda Engine) The people at the shop freaked out about it, what do they know? Look at the drain interval, yes that reads a warranted 25K miles folks! Get that from Mobil 1?

New Energy Saving, Fuel Efficient AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil

AMSOIL INC. of Superior, Wisconsin, has introduced a new energy saving, fuel efficient synthetic oil, AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil. Several vehicle manufacturers, including Ford, Honda, DaimlerChrylser and Toyota, recommend either a 0W-20 or 5W-20 motor oil in many of the vehicles they produce, increasing demand for these oils. The new AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil provides maximum protection in a light viscosity for up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

Product Description
AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil delivers extraordinary lubrication for automotive gasoline engines. Formulated with the industry’s premier synthetic technology and additives in a light viscosity formulation, it withstands high temperatures and delivers outstanding fuel economy and cold temperature performance. AMSOIL Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil delivers long-lasting performance and protection, extending drain intervals far beyond those recommended for conventional oils. Its unique synthetic formulation and long drain additive system are very stable, resisting oxidation and neutralizing acids.

By delivering the best possible engine protection, cleanliness and performance over extended drain intervals, AMSOIL Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil reduces vehicle maintenance and waste oil disposal costs. AMSOIL Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil is designed to maximize energy efficiency for improved fuel economy. Its light viscosity properties reduce drag, while its uniform molecular structure helps it flow more freely to reduce friction between metal surfaces.

With its shear stable formulation and high viscosity index, AMSOIL Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil provides excellent viscosity film strength to separate metal surfaces and contains robust anti-wear additives for the best possible engine protection.

AMSOIL Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil resists thermal breakdown better than conventional oils. It is heavily fortified with detergent and dispersant additives to prevent sludge deposits and keep engines clean. And unlike conventional oils, AMSOIL Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil contains no wax. It stays fluid down to -65°F for improved cold temperature oil flow, reduced bearing wear and easier starting.

See More Product Information

About the Company: AMSOIL has been the recognized leader in synthetic lubrication and filtration since 1972. For more information about AMSOIL Ea Filters with Nanofiber Technology contact your nearest AMSOIL distributor, or call AMSOIL at (715) 392-7101 or 1-800-777-8491. AMSOIL INC., AMSOIL Building, Superior, WI 54880, or go to www.amsoil.com.

News Contact:
Ed Newman
Marketing & Advertising Manager
Ph. 715-392-7101
[email protected]

·
on line
18 Posts
I just picked up Amsoil for my first oil change. I plan on going Amsoil for all my gearoils and tranny. I have done some studies also. I became a believer in synthetics after I saw a few bench tests done comparing petrolium oils to synthetics. Unbelievable the differnce in performance.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Yea it's good, after break in, Almost all our stuff is synthetic or blend anyways. Amsoil just takes the spec exceeds if by far and sells it. Masters of oil! I just did my Diffs and oil tonight! 1st change on the oil in 16K miles, I went with the severe service interval because I do all this crazy sheet! Tow, wheel, peal, lean, and drive mean! MC

·
on line
358 Posts
Run what is spec'd. Tolerances have gotten tighter and therefore the oil weight must be thinner to get into the tight places.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
miles said:
mobile 1 synthetic for my x
X4

I saw about 1 MPG increase, but I'm not sure if it was the oil or the change back from the (crap)winter gas. I changed more for the peace of mind factor, and Mobil 1 is only $1.50 more for a 6 pack than synthetic blend at Costco.

·
on line
57 Posts
When I was running Mobil 1 in my Wrangler I noticed it used to run a bit cooler than it did when on dino oil. Oil pressure would come up a tad faster too when starting the engine, esp. during the cold winter.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well by the looks of the tests Amsoil does, I'd go with the Mobile 1 and change it at like 8+ K miles depending on how it looks and what I did with it. Ahhhh If I did not want to spring for the Amsoil that will go 15 to 25K and has a warranty with it for that. MC

1 - 20 of 22 Posts