Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. Can someone who knows everything there is to know about motor oil please give me the run down. I am now running on mobil 1 5000. I think it is 5w30, or 10w30 (dont remember). Which is the best oil for the X (5w or 10w) And what are the others for 30 40 etc.

I am going to switch to full synthetic in about 500 miles. Do you think the new Q 4x4 heat activated full synthetic would be good. I believe i have heard bad things about quakerstate but i dont remember.

·
on line
168 Posts
In your manual, it says to run 5W-30. I run either Mobil 1 synthetic or the Castrol Syntec full synthetic. Whichever is handy and available at Wally World.

Only those engine oils with the American Petroleum
Institute (API) CERTIFICATION MARK on
the front of the container should be used. This
type of oil supersedes the existing API SG, SH, or
SJ and Energy Conserving II categories........

SAE 5W-30 viscosity oil is preferred for all
temperatures. SAE 10W-30 or SAE
10W-40 viscosity oils may be used if the
ambient temperature is above 0°F (-18°C).

·
on line
3,217 Posts
I've always used 10W-30 in everything that I've owned.

·
on line
1,667 Posts
just switched to pennsoil full synthetic

·
on line
246 Posts
In the manuel it shows what the difference is between 5 and 10. Basically if you are going to be driving in cold weather you should run 5w, but if you aren't 10w will be fine. as for the 30, not really sure what that number means.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Automotive Engine Performance
Viscosity of oil (SAE rating)
Viscosity means resistance to flow. An
oil with a high viscosity has a higher
resistance to flow and is thicker than a
lower-viscosity oil.
Oil is tested and assigned a viscosity
number according to standards
established by the Society of
Automotive Engineers (SAE).
It is tested at two different temperatures
and assigned a number based on the
oil’s flow characteristics at that
temperature.

Automotive Engine Performance
Viscosity of oil (SAE rating) (continued)
multi-viscosity engine oils
Viscosity index (VI) improvers can be added to engine oil to prevent
it from becoming thin at higher temperatures.
For example, SAE 5W oil with the VI improvers added can be rated
as an SAE 30 when tested at 212°F. This oil is therefore rated as an
SAE 5W-30, indicating that it flowed the same as an SAE 5W when
tested at 0°F and flowed the same as an SAE 30 when tested at
212°F.
Because of the wide range of temperatures at which they can
function, multi-viscosity oils such as SAE 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30
are often the only oils recommended for use.
NOTE: Always follow the vehicle
manufacturer’s recommended
engine oil viscosity.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
AMSOIL is way better than Mobil one. Or any other, they were 1st in synthetics. I'm a dealer now, still working on setting up so things.
How's about a filter for your X and oil you run for 25,000 miles no worries? Mobile one can't do that for you AmsOil can.

http://www.advancedlubetech.com/USD/lubedepot/newsite/

MC

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Dealer? Cool.

The chart for gasoline said 15K b/w oil changs. I run about 15K in the X5 b/w oil changes right now using mobil1. Of course that sucker takes 8 qts.

I need to change my oil. Where can I buy this stuff and filter?

·
on line
120 Posts
I too run Amsoil (been using it in all my vehicles for the past decade). Currently running 10W-30 but I'm thinking of using 10W-40 in the summer and 5W-30 in the winter (Colorado).
As for the 25,000 mile changes, I don't recommend it. First off even Amsoil says for those mile intervals you need to do UOA's (used oil analysis). I personally wouldn't go over 7500 miles during your warranty and after that a max of maybee 14,000 miles, with testing.
Remember, compared to costs of fuel or tires, etc. oil is cheap and I run synthetics for mostly the protection with long drains being secondary.
BTW I've found that Redline MT-90 in my manual works better than Amsoils 75W-90 MTL. Redline D4 ATF in the transfer case as it is GL-4 extreme pressure rated (good). Amsoil Severe Gear in the rear end and Amsoil Marine 80W-90 in front (better water resistance).
The newer Mobil 1's are pretty good these days too and I think are pretty on par with Amsoil.
Sorry for the long post.... :)

·
on line
3,484 Posts
You can get it delivered to your house ordered over the net. And if you wait until next week and use my dealer code, Portion of Proceeds will go to some swag for this site. AMSOIL related and otherwise. Some people report it solves some stiff shifting in MT's and they have a lube for lockers, our Diffs and an engine filter out for us. (Anti Drain Back just like Nissan's) Other things they have not developed yet for our x, But they will. I'm on it!

As far as the 25K he's right, And analysis can be more expensive than just changing out the oil. But once a year is not a problem as long as you use the filter and the oil. The real savings is in time doing it. Plus, with all this war really about Oil going on, the less we use the better.

A shorter interval is recommended for severe service, and super dusty would qualify. A K&N or any hi flow brings dust in. Amsoil makes a better filter that last as long. But I have'nt tested it. The thery is though that it will be more restrictive than a K&N or the like. But, keeps your oil cleaner.

MC

·
on line
54 Posts
there is never ending questions and argument about the different synthetics, but what about Royal Purple compared to AMSoil???.... personally i have run royal purple in my sports cars, and have had great results but never used AMSoil.....

·
on line
168 Posts
USMC, is the Amsoil API rated? Does it have the API logo on the container? You might want to check the owner manual.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
No it does not meet the API, it exceeds it by far.
You put Dino oil in, Drive 25K miles I do the same with Amsoil, I'll make it to the 25K no change, no filter change. You won't make it.
Read up. Amsoil was 1st synthetic motor oil. I'd rather you read and convince yourself. People have used AMsoil for over 30 years.
A lot of industral comercial use it to save Gas, Cash, and time.

Try this: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tso.aspx
And the FAQ's specifcally with your answer.
http://www.amsoil.com/frequent.aspx#warranty

MC

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Smthrde said:
there is never ending questions and argument about the different synthetics, but what about Royal Purple compared to AMSoil???.... personally i have run royal purple in my sports cars, and have had great results but never used AMSoil.....
Amsoil was here 1st, Royal Purple is OK. I have run that in a big truck, It got to be too expensive. Amsoil will outlast and beat it on analysis. If you try it, we can go head to head mile for mile until Royal Purple comes back no good for further use. Amsoil will outlast it No crap! Check out the links.

MC

·
on line
120 Posts
I still prefer the heavier weights (10W) as they usually have a better HTHS and provide a better hydrodynamic film. A lighter weight oil will give better mileage but I already get 18.5-19.5 so I don't mind running on the heavier end of the recommended grades.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well the higher the test Number the better the HTHS protection.
This is your 10 W 30 @ HTHS of 3.2
High Temperature/High Shear Viscosity
(ASTM D-4683 @ 150°C, 1.0 X 106 s.-1), cP 3.2

And the 0 W 30 @ HTHS of 3.4
High Temperature/High Shear Viscosity cP, X°C, X s-1 (ASTM D4683) 3.4

So maybe you should switch?
Amsoil recomends 5 W 30 for our engine. And that's what I will run.

Anyways, whats the difference? (.2) 0 W30 gives you way more protection in cold climates if that's what you may have in a years time. And, on a cold start it flows quicker. A precharger is available if you are that worried about it. When you turn on the key it starts the flow of oil without the engine yet running. Maybe you might want one of those?

MC

1 - 20 of 66 Posts