Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice as I am not all that great mechanically, but I am learning.

6 weeks ago while wheeling I noticed my oil gauge needle had dropped below the half way point and was kind of jiggling a bit. It only did it for about 15 minutes. Nothing since.

Today I was driving across the border idling in the lineup when the gauge started to dop again. When I push down on the throttle, the needle moves steady to the half way point. But when I let off the gas it drops down. It is still in the safe zone, but it drops and jiggles.

I had an oil change done last weekend at a lube place. I had noticed some oil on the floor in the garage so I slid underneath to find that the oil drain plug was only hand tight and was loose. So I tightened it. I checked the oil level then and it was fine.

I also checked the oil level today and it was fine too. I uses a synthetic blend this time.

Any ideas what is causing this?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sounds like a bad sensor ground or loose sensor wire. Take it in and get it checked though, hopefully you are still under warranty.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Oil level is good? Coolant level is good? Are there any strange rattling noises coming from the motor, any clacking from the valvetrain at idle? How is your battery ground?

·
Registered
376 Posts
if u dont know mike the 2005s have a true oil pressure guage.....when u idle its supposed to drop right down...just above the low line..and when u are on the gas its supposed to climb....idle = less pressure, under load = more pressure... so id say your good bud!

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Some of the 06's have the real pressure gauge also (lucky me). But I dont believe its supposed to drop down that far. My guess is your oil level is too low or too high. Shoud be an easy fix. Just so you know when I was loosing mega oil thats exactly what happened to me.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The oil level is good, I have checked it several times.

Nola, if it's normal, it never did it before and I have been driving it for almost 3 years? Does yours do this?

I did have the oil change, so maybe it is the filter.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The oil level is good, I have checked it several times.

Nola, if it's normal, it never did it before and I have been driving it for almost 3 years? Does yours do this?

Nissan filter?

If it still does it after a new nissan filter, I would hook up an external gauge to it to really see if the pump might be taking a dump on you.

It's easier to throw a new oil pump at it than replace the whole long block assy.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Check pressure with a mechanical gauge, but I'd also wonder about the oil filter put on by the shop. I've seen really horrible pressure drop with Fram oil filters on my old rig, which is why I'll never use them again. (Its pretty sorry when even the SuperTech oil filter you can buy at Wallyworld is higher quality.)

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Oil filters: I like Wix, which is commonly sold as the Napa Gold. I also like Mann, Mahl, and Bosch for my German cars, in that order. K&N is a bit too expensive I think. It is a very nicely constructed filter, but not worth paying twice the price. Mobile 1 makes a nice filter, and so is the Purolator PureOne.

Avoid Fram (Allied Signal) like the plague. I've cut open both Fram and the Walmart (Wally World) Supertech filters, and the Super Tech had a better anti-drainback valve and superior filter media without a cardboard backing plate like the Fram filter has.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
The oil level is good, I have checked it several times. Nola, if it's normal, it never did it before and I have been driving it for almost 3 years? Does yours do this?

I have a 2005 Xterra and the Oil Pressure dropped when letting off the gas. It go worse over time to the point it was undriveable. I changed the Sending Unit, Oil Pump, Front Cover and Gaskets, but it didn’t fix it. Turns out that the Camshaft was worn out and needed replaced. I had almost given up, but finally it’s fixed!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts