Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
on line
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was playing around on an old farm of my late great grandmother today and I was in 4 hi, just having fun in the field, going mostly slow since the grass was so high i couldn't see any ruts or anything. The farm has lots of hills, and some fairly steep, the X was never over 15 mph, and never too tilted on the hills, but I did stop once on a pretty good slant to see get a look at the suspension flex, then started back up and kept driving.

After only about 5 minutes of driving my oil pressure dropped to the bottom, oil light came on, engine began to sputter. Got scared, stopped it, poped hood, checked oil, it was fine. looked up under it, it was dry. started back up, took out of 4hi, put in 2hi, put in park, reved it up and oil returned to normal, let it idle, oil dropped again... once the oil pressure dropped it sputtered again, and either stalled or just ran really nasty. Kept doing this over a few more hills back to the driveway, then it was fine again, then drove all the way home fine....

WTF?? anyone have a issue like this? My dad says it could have been something he called a "vapor lock" ??? don't know.

Someone please help me, b/c I supposed to drive over 5 hours tomorrow to get Greg's AC Coils and AAL and sliders!!! but don't want to drive if my X is going to die on me:(

Thanks for the help!

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Oil pump? Short or loose wire???

·
on line
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't even know where to start looking... I would think that if I could knock something loose on a little farm ride, then others would have maybe had similiar issues on real trails. right? I hope it's only something that simple as a loose wire.

G

·
0 Posts
you probably already checked your oil fill cap and dipstick.

if everything is where it should be, sounds to me like a bad sensor somewhere. i would have it checked this morning before heading out if possible. you can always come down next weekend if you need to - dont want you getting stranded or towed.

greg

·
on line
2,081 Posts
If the Oil pressue drops does the X have some kind of built in shut down built into the software, to prevent engine damage?

·
on line
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess so, b/c it did shut off.
But before it shut off the idleing dropped too, so that was weird. but if i reved up the engine, the oil pressure gauge went back up and it seemed fine, but then when i let off the gas, it would drop down again. So it could be more of a fuel/idling problem, and the oil gauge dropping could just be a side effect. b/c i know when i start my truck the oil gauge will be really low, but when i give it gas and engine revs up, the oil pressure goes up, let off the gas and let it idle and the oil pressure drops again...

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Yeaa - mine drops when I'm at a red light, but no engine splutter. If I had that kinda symptom I'd also check the simple stuff like the Air Filter and make sure all the spark plug wires are seated properly.

·
on line
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It doesn't happen all the time. It was only that once. While driving on a farm with lots of fairly steep hills. Once back on level ground it was fine.

G

·
0 Posts
were you almost out of gas? simple i know, but it happened to my sister once, she took the car into firestone for service right away and they let her know she needed gas. :blackeye:

·
on line
1,479 Posts
yobuck said:
Maybe I need some blinker fluid?
I think it was your lights coolant :geek:

·
on line
32 Posts
Something like that just happened to me today. I had half a tank of fuel was at stop light. When light changed I accelerated into a left hand turn then to a gradual right at that point I was doing about 25Mph and the engine lost power was running really rough I pulled over and it died. I cranked it back up on the first try and couldn't get it to do it again. Also no engine codes. Went by the dealership and of course they have never heard of such a problem. Now I can't trust it to go out and about.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:laughing3: If the same thing happened to you, you musta been in 2hi ???

:rockin::rockin: JIMBO

·
on line
10,133 Posts
the only thing I can think of is to check your air intake connections. My intake "pipe" that connects the the intake box came loose one time (about a year ago). I was at a light near my house and the truck started running like absolute crap. Popped the hood, saw that the "pipe" had come loose, tightened it back up, and everything was fine.

·
on line
471 Posts
maybe oil pressure sending unit or oil pump? Try cleaning your MAF sensor, especially since you were wheeling at the time it happened.

·
on line
2,570 Posts
Check your spark plug wires... Similar symptoms happened on my Jeep a few years ago. Started out occasionally, then became persistent.

·
on line
2,070 Posts
I've had this happen to me, after i took off from a stop light got to about
40mph. Then it started to sputter, let off the gas was ok. Then i hit the gas to
get back up to speed, started to sputter and then died. I pulled over restarted the
engine and no more sputter.. It has happened to 8th man too, we just thought it was because of the SAS... I think its time to check the connectors. Oh ya this has happened to me about a dozen times.
I just throw it into nuetral and restart the engine while going down the road now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts