Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Oil Pressure Gauge Pegged at High

24K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Sptiki 
#1 ·
Wasn't sure where to put this, but it seems like more of an electrical thing than an engine thing (at least thats what I'm hoping)

Anyway...Xterra was parked at the airport for 3-4 days while we were out of town. Hopped in and turned the key to ACC (did not turn on the engine)to roll down the windows while we put luggage in and air out the car. Noticed the Oil Pressure gauge went straight to max. Thought it was odd, but also thought that once engine was running it would level out.

Nope...started up just fine, no weird noises ran normal. Gauge still sitting on high. Needle was 100% motionless. No fluctuation with RPM...nothing. Turned it off, checked oil (which was fine). Turned to ACC again gauge pegs, start engine, needle remains.

Xterra has 155K, synthetic oil EVERY 3-4 K. Checked oil filter, no leakage, no ballooning.

First course of action will be an oil and filter change.

Next, I'm guessing will be replacing the oil pressure sending unit. Which brings me to my question.

Where the heck is the oil pressure sending unit :scratch: ??
Is it just a plug and play kind of deal? I think I can source one from the dealer for $$$ or probably from Rockauto for cheaper.

I'm hoping its not the oil pump or a plugged oil passage or something. :surprise:

Any other stuff I should consider?

Thanks everyone in advance!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Same thing happened to me on my 2006, but it was as I was driving it home after buying it from a guy off of Craigslist! I had a minor panic attack when I saw it and thought it was the coolant temperature at first, but then realized it was the oil pressure gauge.

It is the oil pressure sensor, when they fail they fail to the high side. As you already have seen, the gauge goes to maximum even with the engine off.

The sensor is located on the engine block on the passenger side. It is easily seen and accessed from below. You will need a 24 mm deep socket to remove and install since you can't get an adjustable wrench on it's location, but with the deep socket it is very easy.

#3 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. This looks like its definitely my issue.

Going to call the dealer and get an OEM sensor. (Don't want to take a chance on getting the wrong part online)

Is the 2006 a 3 pin connector?

#6 ·
Is the 2006 a 3 pin connector?
It depends. The early 06 models have the 3 pin which is real oil pressure sensor, if yours used to fluctuate up and down that's a sign you have that one. The later models came with a dummy sensor that just shows whether there is pressure or not.

I have the 3 pin model and it went bad a little over a year ago, I ordered a replacement from Rock Auto for $54 just for reference.

http://www.rockauto.com/?carcode=1431467&parttype=4588

#4 ·
It is the oil pressure sensor, when they fail they fail to the high side. As you already have seen, the gauge goes to maximum even with the engine off.
My OEM oil pressure sensor failed to the high side.
The replacement recently failed to the low side ... i.e. no pressure ... which also caused the red CEL oil can light to display.
It is not a NO-OP condition thankfully, but is a cause for concern when you have a failed sensor.

And OP ... synthetic replacement every 3-4K ??!
Wow.

#7 ·
Yep....it's the 3 pin connector.

Got an OEM sensor Part number 25070-CD00A off Amazon for $66. Dealer locally wanted $127. Lol

20 minutes in the garage and the oil pressure reading is back to normal.

Thanks for all the replies!

#8 ·
good thread here, im at almost 150k, so this may be happening soon.

I'm wondering if its possible to swap an actual gauge into a model that initially had the dummy gauge.

I believe i have the dummy gauge, just seems to stay pegged in the middle with no fluctuation. my previous Nissan a 350z had a real gauge and i got used to monitoring the pressure.

so yeah is it possible to just swap a real gauge in if you previously had the dummy gauge?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.