Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know this is a 2nd gen forum, but i wanted to ask you guys what you thought about this scenario:

2002 xterra, 100+k miles on it.
oil light comes on while ex is coming out to meet me for our bi-weekly kid exchange.
ex turns off the engine.
SHe calls me, asks me to bring out oil- thinking it's leaking.
I get oil, meet her on the interstate and look at the dipstick.

at this point, my heart sobs. This truck was my baby (always used mobile 1 every 5k) before the divorce and she has let it slide big time.

anyhow, there is a sticky substance on the stick and the oil is low by 1 quart.
I look under the truck and no leaks around the drain plug nor the filter.

there is some oil leaking/seeping (just wet no drops) from between the tranny and the back of the engine... (rear main???)

anyhow,
I add I quart and she starts it up. the light is off, she proceeds down the highway, and the light comes back on. This time, I advise her to get a tow home.

but looking at the oil, it looks like mud. SHe told me she just had it changed 2 months ago. The oil filter, it's a fram, is missing some of its grip material and it looks to have been on there for a while.

I think she is lying and it hasn't had a change in a long time.

My question, what do you think the cure is? would an oil change, then maybe a flush be the ticket or is she looking at something more expensive?

I care only because she drives 70 miles every other week to meet me and she isn't really doing all that great financially as far as I know.....

thanks...

·
on line
155 Posts
If it looks like mud, it's possible that the head gasket is leaking coolant into the cylinders. Take a whiff at the oil and see if it has a coolant smell to it. Pull a plug out and take a look inside the cylinders. It should be dry in there. Since it's got 100K+ miles on it, anything is possible.

·
on line
2,004 Posts
Seafoam it!!!!! It'll get that right out of it. and take that X away. give her a yota to drive.

·
on line
735 Posts
It ran out of oil..It's Death Rattle. I'm sure your ex will justify a reason why you should buy a new engine for her X. Whenever you changed the oil the last time is the last time it was touched, I'm sure. if she pays, it won't happen ever again.

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now why should I pay for a new engine? Not going to happen. The thing is, this vehicle was ours while married, and i gave her the right to drive it until i finished paying it off 2 years later after our seperation. I just paid it off last june. Signed it over to her free and clear. It old her, get something economical and new like a hyundai accent. At the time I drove a honda civic. She wouldn't hear it.

And you are right, Ibet the oil hasn't been changed in at least a year. Oh well, she will learn.

The thing is, after I put 1 quart in it, on the side of the interstate, it ran quiet (for that engine as I remember) and no light came on. Then 2 minutes later she tells me it came back on. I didn't bother checking the oil again but i drove behind her and saw no smoke etc.... hopefully she will be ok, because then it will suck having to either a) drive 2x the distance to get the kids (780 miles per visit versus the standard 340 i drive now), that'll rack the miles up big time or b) having to take her to court in order that she complies with our agreement which is part of the divorce order aka court order...

We shall see.....
I honestly think a good flush may save it.. then, she needs to ditch it and get something that is new...if she can afford it...

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
engine flush/oil change fixed it. i told her to take it back in a month to have another change and then one more... can never be too careful...

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Yeah that sounds exactly like what happend to me with my first car, engine oil sludge, I've learned to take care of my vehicles since then, it's a PITA to deal with in an '81 BMW.

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm pretty impressed that the oil was that bad in the 02 and after changing it's fine....

nothing but synthetic for my 07 S 4x4 baby....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts