Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Filled up today and checked the oil. Yikes! below "Low". Didn't have any synth at home so try and find and open store on Thanksgiving Day. Had to spend $14 at a BP for 2 quarts, and that didn't even fill it up. Had oil change less than 5000 miles ago, first time w/ synth. Meant to change it earlier than 5K, but got busy. Checked the oil probably three tanks ago (about 900 miles) and level OK. Where did the stuff go? Not a drop on my garage floor (just cleaned out the garage yesterday while the cars were out and my parking spot nice and dry). Hope nothing bad happens for running low. Oil pressure light never came on. I'm checking under the hood every fill up from now on. By the way, I only have about 18K on the truck now and have never had a problem in the past w/ keeping oil in the crankcase.

·
on line
652 Posts
very strange that there is no sign of a leak.

Those damn knomes

·
on line
652 Posts
very strange that there is no sign of a leak.

Those damn gnomes

·
on line
1,361 Posts
In my old jeep, I had a leak that only showed when under pressure. So when the engine shut off, it barely dripped, first turn it on nothing, but after a few minutes it leaked and leaked. Dropped almost all of my oil once on the way home one day and smelt it burning and stopped.

Anyway, it was coming from the oil pressure sending unit, it had a small hole and would only leak when under full warm pressure. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts