Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears our X has been leaking a little oil for awhile now...didn't notice as I left before the wife and get home after her. Looks like a few drops a day; nothing awful, but more than I'd expect out of a 2 year old vehicle with 20k miles.

Seems to be coming from somewhere right in the middle of the X (in terms of R/L) and between the front wheels. No, I haven't gotten up under there to look as I haven't really had time. I know I've read replacing the filter is a PITA, so I was thinking maybe the filter may have not been tightened properly or was damaged somehow.

Obviously I have the oil changed at a local place which does really good work. Haven't checked the level yet, but very little has actually accrued. Oil is Mobil 1 Synthetic, although I doubt that really makes a difference.

Basically just curious if y'all think my theory might have merit, or if I need to get it into the dealer ASAP. :) Vehicle is performing great and no indicators have come on.

Thanks!

·
on line
423 Posts
I would get under there with a rag or two and wipe starting at the filter (all the way around, work over to the filter holder (i think the actual part name is an oil cooler) wipe the oil ramp, sway bar, cross member, and then finally wipe the skip plate. Make sure you pust the rag all they way back under the cross member so that you can see the end of it. finally wipe underneath on the lip and around the pan. It sounds like a lot but should only take five or ten minutes.

when you change the oil and remove the oil too fast it hits the skid plate instead of coming out the door. if its sitting there it will run off the back of the skid. If its the filter you'll be able to see it when the leak comes back. If its the nut check that its tight enough.

Whatever the case you can bring it back to the oil change place and have them look at it. They'll either have to figure out why its leaking or clean it up so they don't have to explain that they are messy workers.

I find the best solution (and the cheapest) is to just change it myself.

·
on line
268 Posts
bmaloney said:
Man, I just did mine for the first time this past weekend. What a PITA it was to get the filter off. Whoever changed it last really cranked the danged thing on there. Ended up having to take the skid plate off and jam a screw driver into the filter to get some leverage on it, couldn't do it with a filter wrench in there too tight to turn it.

Also the oil drain plug is in the same area your talking about seeing a leak. When your shop changed the oil did they put a new crush washer on the plug? Dunno if that could have an affect.

·
on line
423 Posts
Grouch said:
bmaloney said:
Man, I just did mine for the first time this past weekend. What a PITA it was to get the filter off. Whoever changed it last really cranked the danged thing on there. Ended up having to take the skid plate off and jam a screw driver into the filter to get some leverage on it, couldn't do it with a filter wrench in there too tight to turn it.

Also the oil drain plug is in the same area your talking about seeing a leak. When your shop changed the oil did they put a new crush washer on the plug? Dunno if that could have an affect.
Yeah they are way too tight the first time (insert pun of choice) but mine i was able to get it with a strap wrench by going thought from the passenger side opening.

Its possible that its leaking from the washer but i suspect that its just oil on the skid. I changed the oil on my 240sx for years till i found out you were supposed to change the washer and never had a problem. I just assumed that it was supposed to be flat.

·
on line
244 Posts
Bump ... I seem to be having the same issue, and I've even followed the suggestions for troubleshooting but no luck yet. Was the leak ever fixed? Ideas?

·
on line
244 Posts
Skid plates are off and I've wiped down the engine bay a few times ... but no definite source yet. It seems to be concentrated around the front passenger side of the engine bay, right behind the oil cooler. Oil cooler assembly was already replaced under warranty, and leaks continue.

·
on line
1,055 Posts
Man, I just did mine for the first time this past weekend. What a PITA it was to get the filter off.
You ain't lyin! I usually take the skid plate off when I change my oil. After a while the holes in the plastic trim are going to wear out. Last weekend I changed it with the skid on, cut the hell out of my wrist trying to get it loose then spilled all of the oil out of the filter trying to get it out of the hole. Ridiculous!

I'm planning on taking my skidplate to work hopefully this week so I can use the shop there. I'm going to make the hole bigger, make a new coverplate, and rivet nutplates on it.

Then again, worked 79 hours this week, i'm thinking about putting another Shrock order in. That's the best way to solve this problem eh?

·
on line
4,495 Posts
Stick your hand through the passenger side wheel well, it's easier. Plus it doesn't look like you tried to cut yourself for attention afterwards....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts