Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a mishap at the local shop where the drain plug was not 100% tightened after an oil change (lost less than 1/2 a quart) I was under the car taking a look with the guy. We both noticed that there was a small amount of oil coming from, what he called, the timing chain inspection plate. The plate hides right behind the top of the serpentine belt and tensioner in the perfect place for me to be unable to snap a picture. There was some oil coming from the bottom 1/2 of the black plate. The only reason he looked up there was because he just heard of a maxima that was still in the shop that got it done recently so he showed me on the maxima because you could more easily see what he was pointing to

I had my timing chain and tensioner replaced at ~86,000 miles. I am now at ~105,000 miles.

Is this plate that he describes something that is messed with while doing the timing chain repair?

after scouring the web i could find this picture of a nissan motor. Notice black plates? I notice oil from the one on the left when looking at the motor.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
Yes, you need to pull the timing chain tensioner cover when doing the timing chain and/or replacing the water pump (behind the other black cover in the photo - the one without the arrow).

It's possible that whoever did the timing chain didn't reseal the tensioner cover properly. It's also possible that the seal (RTV) has simply failed over time.

Is it an active leak (with dripping oil)? Or, is it more of a seepage (cover is wet, but there is no drips)?

If you are going to reseal it, you should consider using The "Right Stuff" Gasket Maker from Permatex. This stuff really works well, and you can use the vehicle right away (very short curing time).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts