Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My e-brake has not worked great since I bought my X at about 30k miles. I have been hauling a trailer and finally decided I had better put in new shoes. When I took the driver side off, the shoes had half or better left, but were not adjusted right. I adjusted those and moved to the passenger side. That side had almost new looking shoes, but the inside of the drum was oily. It didn't smell strongly like grease, and the brake caliper was completely dry and did not look like it had leaked, in fact, nothing outside the drum was wet at all. I am not sure what could be the cause here. Did the old owner do something stupid, or am I missing something?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Maybe just take off your axle vent and clean it out so it is breathing properly so it doesn't build pressure. Then clean up the brake area/rotors with some brake cleaner. Maybe it will be good(stop leaking) without replacing the axle seals.

·
on line
8,599 Posts
I've had to pull my axles a few times on my M226.
Nissan says the seals should be replaced every time the axle is removed. But u can't replace the seal without having the bearing pressed off.
So if you want to do some big preventive maintenance then have the seals replaced along with your bearings.
If your a cheapass like me, then pull you axles and try smearing some silver RTV sealant on the outside of the donut seal and reinstall. The last time I removed mine I had done that and it doesn't leak.
You will need a slide hammer to remove the axles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been looking into it and I will be replacing the bearing, retainer, and seals. That doesn't look too bad. The hardest part looks like finding the pipe to press the bearing and retainer on with. I did the breather mod today. The breather actually looked fine, but I have been meaning to do it for some time now anyway. I have a hum that I just noticed a week or two ago that is bothering me. I rarely hit 70+, so I can't be sure that it is new, but at 70 I get a slight vibration and by 80 it is pretty noticible and there is a low pitch hum. It happens even in nuetral/no throttle. The leak seems light, so I hope diff is ok.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts