Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, took the pass inner fender well out, nice shot at the Oil Filter holder. What are we counting on this hose to do? I hope it's not pumping blood up to the valve train. I hope it is a return, but still, I no likey! MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Interesting, I never seen that hose before, but to be honest, I never really looked.

Just looked at the SM.

It's an Oil Cooler. So I assume that is coolant running through that hose.

·
on line
807 Posts
usmc xterra said:
OK, took the pass inner fender well out, nice shot at the Oil Filter holder. What are we counting on this hose to do? I hope it's not pumping blood up to the valve train. I hope it is a return, but still, I no likey! MC

That is a coolant line. It is an oil cooler.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Jeez MC those hoses look a little dirty! j/k It is an oil cooler, the other hose it out the other side I believe.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
B Slater said:
Jeez MC those hoses look a little dirty! j/k It is an oil cooler, the other hose it out the other side I believe.
How come you did not post Nifty Map like Steve 47 did Slate? JK Hey i found some bad Azz stuff for engine cleaning! It is the sheeeet! MC

·
Read Only
656 Posts
MC: I noticed the Amsoil filter in the pic and it reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask you. Do you use a bypass filter on your truck? I've never used one on any vehicle, but lately I've thought about installing one. I think Amsoil makes them, but the original one, Frantz Filter, is still made and available here: http://wefilterit.com/index.htm What's your thoughts on bypass filters, are they beneficial or waste of time/money? Reading about them sounds like just changing the filter media will clean your oil up like new after several miles. The Frantz filters are the ones you can use toilet paper in. After replacing the media and topping up on your oil, your oil should be cleaned up quickly. If I swap to synthetic, I figure that cleaning it would make it fairly economical. Since synth doesn't break down, the only reason to change it is because it's dirty, right? Some Saab club guys I know who use synth change oil and filter every 10 K and just change filter and top up every 5 K. Sounds like what a bypass filter could do. Please comment on these oil strategies.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep Amsoil is a bypass filter, someone makes it I don't know who. But they advise running it up to 25K miles or one year and changing it. Plus the oil. I think that is good advise. I would not run it forever because it will absorb moisture and after a year, it absorbs about all the moisture it can and still lubricate. By pass filters are what's hot now, way to go.

Testing oil for further suitability is nearly as much as a change, so we just change it. I'll test it 1/2 way and at the end. Just to see. But I don't think I'd ever run oil forever, no matter what the filter, contaminates enter from intake also so what you run for an air filter affects the oil cleanliness. The amsoil site has a bunch of info. And so does a lot of other people.

MC

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
S_e_X-Terra said:
LOL... MC unscrewed his oil filter a little bit just so the 'amsoil' logo would be visible!! :geek:
LOL not at all But I knew I would get some greif over that! LOL Remember, I don't sell Amsoil, people buy it! MC

·
on line
2,081 Posts
usmc xterra said:
B Slater said:
How come you did not post Nifty Map like Steve 47 did Slate? JK Hey i found some bad Azz stuff for engine cleaning! It is the sheeeet! MC
The Nifty Little Map thing comes from the Service Manual. http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissan/

$25 a day I believe gives you access to all the files. I paid the $25, then downloaded all the PDFs to my computer. Although looking at the files I have I seem to be missing the [QR] section :(

·
on line
641 Posts
RiNkY said:
The Nifty Little Map thing comes from the Service Manual. http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissan/

$25 a day I believe gives you access to all the files. I paid the $25, then downloaded all the PDFs to my computer. Although looking at the files I have I seem to be missing the [QR] section :(
The Oil Cooler is covered on pages LU-10 and LU-11 of the September 2005 version of the Xterra 2006 service manual PDF files. It doesn't have "[QR]" printed on the page - note that the image earlier in this thread is from the Frontier service manual. The Xterra service manual's Quick Reference section is included in the FWD.pdf file(FWD = Forward, not Front Wheel Drive ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts