Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may have been discussed already, but I am going to switch to mobile 1 and curious what brand of oil filter would you all recommend? I still plan to change the oil every 6K or so.

·
on line
735 Posts
purolator, wix or the nissan ones. definitely not the orange brand, and as far as I'm concerned, the $10 filters just cost too much (I'm never the last owner of a vehicle so it matters that money doesn't just fly out of my pocket for nothing).

there is a link to an oil filter study a guy did a few years ago.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

·
on line
631 Posts
i use OEM nissan filter... got about 7 or 8 sitting in the garage at my parents place since we have 4 nissan trucks that all take the same filter, might as well stock up!
Fram=BAD! so does BOSCH and MOBIL 1 filters.. apparently there was a problem with the relief spring not working causing the filter to blow. And I think K&N filter is to much $$$. I paid $4 a filter for OEM from nissan

·
on line
2,125 Posts
just my 2 cents. I just switched to mobil 1 synthetic oil. i have a friend that was a marine mechanic for 10 years and a car mechanic for even longer. when i asked him what filter i should get he said that he would get the mobil 1 filter. he said that the mobil 1 filter is far superior to any other filter he ever used. he also said that the filters that the 10 min. oil changes use, are $h**. ive had my mobil 1 filter on for close to 2000 miles and have had no problems. i will be getting another one in 1000 miles.
remember that if ure X has more than 20,000 miles on it with just regular oil, when u switch to synthetic, the new syn oil will basically clean out all of the sludge left from the old oil. what my friend told me was that i should change my oil after 3000 miles on the new synthetic oil, then i could go 7500 miles with out changing it again. i kno that this turned into kind of a lecture on synthetic oil and such, but to make a long story short, i use the mobil 1 filter and have had no problems as of yet. (knock on wood).
there is my full 2 cents. :geek:

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: I changed my oil to Mobile one, at about 1200 miles, last year (early) and installed a K&N GOLD oil filter (HP1010)--

-- then, when I got to about 5000 miles, I Duplicated the installation (Mobile/K&N) and put in the FUMOTO valve, for easy oil change--

--Next year about my birthday (Jan), I'll do the same, should be about 11.000 miles--

--The oil changes coloir, but doesn't get to dark--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
168 Posts
A Fumoto valve is one of the first things I added. I had one on my F-250 diesel. So when I went to the X. I added the Fumoto. I have been running the Castrol Syntex at the first oil change with the Mobil 1 oil filter.

·
on line
1 Posts
Sounds like most of you are just as fussy as me. The Fram ones up here are crap, as are the OEM replacement ones you buy at guess where - Canadian Tire ! But they also carry the K&N gold behind the counter if you ask for it.
Royal Purple here is only avail at speed shops and I'm lucky to have an engine shop in town here that stocks it. My '02 and the new one will
get royal purple in the diff' ! That stuff is amazing !

·
on line
1,208 Posts
I use royal purple throughout my X, diffs, oil and Tcase. It is great.

However I use the Fram Tough guard oild filters, and have for a real long time, im curious because i really didnt know that so many people think they are bad, what makes them bad? And who makes a good filter? besides Mobil1. I personaly dont support that company.

·
on line
142 Posts
An oil filter does what it does. I am confused as to how you can call a certain filter crap. As long as you use one that is rated for the amount of miles you plan on going between oil changes, it's all good.

·
on line
735 Posts
did any of you read the link to the oil filter study above? most of them are just rebranded. there are only a few companies (domestically) that make them. I heard the $10 premium fram is good..almost as good as the $3 wix or purolater ones.

don't pay for the marketing. why do you think all the non-automotive retailers stock fram (hint: it isn't because it is the best filter for the money).

·
on line
142 Posts
I went with AMS synthetic oil (ASL) and filter (Ea). I don't wheel in my X very much at all so I expect to get at least 20K miles per change. It was about $75 total shipped for 2 gallons of oil and the filter. Considering that it's better for your engine and quadruples your change interval, I think it's definitely the way to go.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If you change your oil every 3000 miles just about any filter and oil will do. It's when you get into extended change intervals.

The elements in Fram filters are known to degrade and ultimately blocking flow which then the causes the oil to use the bypass which is non filtered.

I run OEM Nissan filters. If I had to pick another filter it would be a Napa Gold (ie. Wix).

·
on line
279 Posts
Muzikman said:
If you change your oil every 3000 miles just about any filter and oil will do. It's when you get into extended change intervals.

The elements in Fram filters are known to degrade and ultimately blocking flow which then the causes the oil to use the bypass which is non filtered.

I run OEM Nissan filters. If I had to pick another filter it would be a Napa Gold (ie. Wix).
Word. Napa Gold filters are about as good as it gets, and my experience with all manufacturers is that OEM filters are great also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts