Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, still kinda new to this site but I love my Xterra and want to know what you guys like to use for your Oil Filters! Oh and what oil do you use?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Mobile 1 high mileage filter and mobile 1 full synthetic oil. I also use the Fram extreme performance filter if the mobile 1 isn't in stock. I just changed my oil this weekend and for anyone needing to chang theirs soon Autozone has the mobile 1 on sale with a free mobile oil filter.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Mostly...... Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W30 with Mobil-1 Extended Performance filter.

Recently..... Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 with a Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter. I might try Pennzoil Ultra Platinum at some point.

I change the oil about twice a year (roughly at 11k to 12k kilometers or every 7K miles).

The key to using longer-life synthetic oil is a high quality, longer-lasting filter.

-------------------------------

On the old 1993 pathfinder, I started out with high mileage Mobil 1 and then switched to Mobil 1 5W30 and later to extended performance 5W30.

That WD-21 3.0 litre engine pathfinder never leaked a drop of oil unless it was overfilled at Mr. Lube or on one occasion, one of the valve covers became lose which was quickly resolved.

This thread reminds me that once upon a time in southwestern British Columbia (late 1990s), most mechanics dismissed synthetic oil as not cost-effective or as a marketing ploy.

Man has that has changed. Now everybody uses/recommends synthetic oil.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've always used Mobil 1 Synthetic stuff is amazing. I've got a Bosh filter on now because it's all they had in stock. I think I might try some of these! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Pennzoil Platinum. Fram ultra synthetic 15,000 miles. I change my oil with this combination every 8,000 miles. about every 6-7 months.

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
You'll get a lot of different answers and fan boy replies. Really, there is lots of good stuff out there nowadays.

Personally, I run Mobil 1 and a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter and change both every 5,000mi.
I use the Purolator PureONE oil filter and stick with either Valvoline or Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-30. I use to use FRAM until I saw what the inside of those things looked like. Never again.
Do some research. ;) The old orange can Frams were long discussed as crappy, but that is light years difference from the new synthetic Xtended Guard now renamed Ultra Synthetic. These are often ranked considerably better than Purolator PureONE and Mobil 1 filters. Spend some time googleing around or read up on the many informative threads on Bob Is The Oil Guy (BITOG). One of our exact filter, XG7317 is cut open and discussed in this thread:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2971076

Not your dads old orange can paper crap. Here is a pic of the difference on our exact filter part number **7317:

Synthetic Extended Guard/Ultra Synthetic on left, crappy paper orange can on right. WAY DIFFERENT.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Why? Being made in China turns me off and seem just too small. No one has convincingly argued they had an engine issue due to using other filters and changing oil at reasonable intervals. I use Prolator pure one Valvoline synthetic or mobil 1 whatever is cheaper at walmart

Surprised no one uses the Nissan oil filters? That's the only thing ever screwed onto my engine.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Let's see. Multi billion dollar worlds wide corporation that designs parts to work in a systems. How much has been spent on R&D? You hear bad mouthing of most every brand out there (and most of it is based on a spec of information and a lot of speculation), but I have never heard of an OEM filter ever causing an issue. And if there was an issue it would be very difficult for Nissan to blame the oil filter supplier, since it was there own part.

Most every other filter is based on brand loyalty, and marketing. "Brand X filters suck, I have heard of failures" How many failures actually happen per number actually made? Brand Y is a good filter, never a problem. Probably not even to the production volumes of the "bad" filters to have anything reported.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
About this Discussion
48 Replies
40 Participants
2009nxor
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing