Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Nissans and am about to start changing my oil myself on the X. Was curious what oil filters people on here preferred? Nissan OEM? K&N etc? I will be using Amsoil synth oil.

Many thanks in advance.

·
on line
294 Posts
^all good suggestions. i use the oem one myself.

·
on line
142 Posts
I went with the AMSOIL synthetic 15,000 mile filter and oil. Cost was about $65 but I figure it's worth it to only have to change my oil once a year.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: I use Mobil one, filter is K&N HP1010 gold and using fumoto valve, once a year about $36 bucks--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Jimbo. What thread size is the drain plug? With that Fumoto valve, you have any fear of getting it knocked off or is it up above the skid plate high enough?

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: You know Muzik, when I first posted about this Fumoto, (year ago??), I mentioned that, because it projected downward, about 1/2 inch below the bottom of the oil pan, beware of rocks. My first trip, with the valve installed, on the class 5 road to Gold lake I was extremely nervous, just drove VERY CAREFULLY--

--BUT, I immediately put on the Shrockworks oil pan SKID, which also, by the way, shields the front Diff and CV's--perfect safety, with an access hole there, for oil removal-(thanks Mr. Shrake)--

--The thread size, the nomenclature of the valve with thread size is:

--Pt# F103N(W/nipple) size 12mm-1.25-- [email protected]

--Because I've been doing this a long time, my trail gear includes extra running gear fluid (light/heavy) with me, I also have THE ORIGINAL DRAIN PLUG--

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: You know Muzik, when I first posted about this Fumoto, (year ago??), I mentioned that, because it projected downward, about 1/2 inch below the bottom of the oil pan, beware of rocks. My first trip, with the valve installed, on the class 5 road to Gold lake I was extremely nervous, just drove VERY CAREFULLY--

--BUT, I immediately put on the Shrockworks oil pan SKID, which also, by the way, shields the front Diff and CV's--perfect safety, with an access hole there, for oil removal-(thanks Mr. Shrake)--

--The thread size, the nomenclature of the valve with thread size is:

--Pt# F103N(W/nipple) size 12mm-1.25-- [email protected]

--Because I've been doing this a long time, my trail gear includes extra running gear fluid (light/heavy) with me, I also have THE ORIGINAL DRAIN PLUG--

·
on line
10 Posts
We recomend OEM filters at our dealership we have a lot of people complain the the here noise at start up on nissan cars using aftermarket filter be cause some brand allow the oil to drain out not so much on trucks cause of the filter being on a angle and for 7 bucks why not use oem.
But I to have always like wix.

·
on line
2,004 Posts
No matter what filter I have or oil, I will always change every 5k miles. So I gotta go with OEM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts