Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any tricks up their sleeve for removing the filter without removing the skid AND without making a mess??? I heard of a plastic bag trick, that sounds promissing. The last time I changed it (first time) i had a time with a couple of the screws feeling almost like I stripped them, they just trun and turn.... Don't want to take it off again unless I have to...

Also, are ALL the nuts where the skid bolts thread into replaceable and are they all on the ski itself??

thanks..

·
on line
564 Posts
Hmmm...I didn't have any problem removing the oil filter...I just went in from the passenger side with a standard oil filter wrench.

Rob

·
on line
423 Posts
yeah, just unscrew it a little at a time and make sure the pan is under the ramp and the back of the skid. catches the spills that roll back. when your done reach in with a paper towel and give it a wipe. filters should be snug but still hand tight

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I too come from the pasenger side, stick my wrench in with one hand and grap it with the other work it on the filter, crank a little, let it drain into a pan, once it slows down twist some more. Not to messy as the pan catches it all.

I use one of these

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and no oil gets anywhere where you can't wipe it out without taking skid off????

·
on line
2,081 Posts
I found that if I jack up the rear of the truck, the oil behaves as it runs down that little spillway and doesn't try and drip back onto the skid plate. So I reverse my X onto a set of ramps so the ass end is higher than the front when I do mine. Kinda weird when someone see's you with the back jacked up and you are working on the front, but it does the trick for me! :)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I never really paid attention, but would lifting the rear up allow the oil pan to drain totally? Oil pans are usually desinged to drain while flat or at a slight incline in the front.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
I suck as much out as possible thru the dipstick, then drain the remaining off thru the drain plug.

·
on line
14 Posts
oil filter

Hi - I'm brand new here and I've been reading some of the posts around oil and filter changes. I am just about to do my first oil change at 6 months. I was about to get the Amsoil XL when i saw the Amsoil SAE will work for a full year before needing another change (i put on fairly low mileage). What filters should i pair up with the Amsoil that will also last the year?

·
on line
463 Posts
Well, I must admit that I am one of those who has spent more time cleaning the mess than changing the filter.
I am researching the "remote filter" concept right now !

I must admit the jack up the rear concept sounds very good/promising !

Jim B

·
on line
1,638 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts