Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found an oil leak coming from behind the oil filter housing/mount. I mostly notice it after starting the truck. Has anyone ever had this problem or heard of this? If so is it an easy fix with an o-ring or a gasket? Any special tools required?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I just realized mine was leaking yesterday. I went up to the Nissan dealer and ordered the new O ring for $3.86. I couldn't find a lot of info on this site, but I used Club Frontier for most of the info. A 22mm deep well socket is the only tool that is needed to change it out. Drain the oil, remove the filter, remove the combination bolt holding the cooler on, don't remove the coolant lines, pull out old O ring and replace with new and reassemble torquing to 36 ft lbs. Install filter and pour in new oil. Coat the new o ring with fresh oil when you put it in too.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet thanks. After 2-3 hours of research I think that is my leak for sure. I picked up the o-ring today $7.36 at the dealer. I will be knocking this out Sunday. More annoying then anything.

Thanks again for your input and expertise in this area.

Jason

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I've gotten away with just tightening the 22MM stud, and that solved my leak. No new o-ring needed. When you do tighten it, do not overtighten, as bad things could happen.
I discovered this after I purchased the new O ring and forgot to mention it here. I figured I would go ahead and replace the O ring while I am in there as apparently it isn't a huge deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
quick note: Dealer mentioned this may be a small drop after my oil change. He quoted the Part (gasket) at ~$8, BUT LABOR AT 1 Hr for ~$150. ouch. so if you can do yourself...enough said!

·
Registered
11 Posts
^^ Thanks for the info. I need to do this soon.
Yes this is an easy fix especially if you do your own oil changes. You will need the 22mm deep socket and a torque wrench to avoid over tightening when replacing. I did use a breaker bar to loosen but not sure if I really needed it. There are YouTube videos available to view online. I referenced a video for a Nissan Frontier V6 which helped. I didn’t need to remove the oil diverter tray like they did in the video but you will have to remove the front skid plate. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just realized mine was leaking yesterday. I went up to the Nissan dealer and ordered the new O ring for $3.86. I couldn't find a lot of info on this site, but I used Club Frontier for most of the info. A 22mm deep well socket is the only tool that is needed to change it out. Drain the oil, remove the filter, remove the combination bolt holding the cooler on, don't remove the coolant lines, pull out old O ring and replace with new and reassemble torquing to 36 ft lbs. Install filter and pour in new oil. Coat the new o ring with fresh oil when you put it in too.
Posted via Mobile Device
This exactly. I’ve done this repair multiple times now and it couldn’t be simpler. Heed the 22mm deep socket requirement and the torque rating. First time I did one I didn’t use a torque wrench and it resulted in a new leak and doing the job a second time including replacing the brand new gasket again out of fear it got damaged from being over torqued. All common sense things of course, just saying.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have found an oil leak coming from behind the oil filter housing/mount. I mostly notice it after starting the truck. Has anyone ever had this problem or heard of this? If so is it an easy fix with an o-ring or a gasket? Any special tools required?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks in advanced
There are speacial crush washers that are required and actually can cause the oil filter to fly off @ 70 if not there. A friend told me this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hmmm, I was not aware of the special “crush” washers. I have driven over 70mph several times since and the oil filter remains in place. I will keep an eye on that for sure. Has anyone else heard of this issue?

·
Registered
254 Posts
There is a crush washer for the oil pain drain plug but there is no crush washer in the oil cooler or filter mount.

I just replaced the O-ring and then used a torque wrench to tighten the Connector bolt. Seems to work well, no leaking so far.

Here is a sketch of the unit from LU-10, FSM 2006 Xterra:

It was interesting to see just how much old oil stays in the oil cooler. Ended up adding more than usual when re-filling with clean motor oil.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts