Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so after letting someone know how easy an oil change was in my old jeep in another post...I crawled under the X today to change out the oil. Hmm. Took me a minute to find the filter, check, then to locate the drain plug, check.

My question is, how do I get to the drain plug, should I remove the skid plate that is there (that seems like more than I need to do)?

Also, if I don't remove it, where does all the oil drain out at, or where should I put the pan?

Maybe I should have looked before being over confident. :cwm10:

·
on line
291 Posts
I had the same problem.

You can remove the filter without removing the skidplate through the little hole in the skidplate. It has a removable door.

I found it much easier to just remove the skid plate. I think it's 7 or 9 screws.

Also there is a drip tray the funnels the oil toward the door through the skidplate.

Sorry I don't have pictures.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so I see the little door you can open.

But how do you get to the drain plug? Or what tool do you use if you leave the skid on. Even with the door off, I can't find away to get to it. Surely you don't have to take the skid off just to change the oil (all be it maybe more convenient)

I assume it's the bolt close to the ground and towards the passenger side from the filter.

Also, what size it is, I don't think I have a socket or wrench big enough.

Thanks

·
on line
291 Posts
I can definitely be done without removing the skid. You really have to put your hole arm inside that little door and work blind.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=23442#23442
I have taken the time to go out and take pictures of the deal based on the fact that no question is a dumb one, If you want to know, someone else will. Go to above link for play by play pictures! I put it in how to so it will be an easy find for someone else. MC

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so I looked at the pictures a few hours ago, and yes this was a stupid question :geek: :drunken: :bom:

I was looking at the completely wrong bolt for the drain plug. It was right above my head and behind it which is why I didn't see it.

After looking at the pictures and sliding in from the passenger side, it took me about 20 minutes to change the oil, and most of that was cleaning the skid plate and waiting for the oil to drain out.

MC, thanks for the pics for the moderately brain dead :drink:

Also, the filter was easy to get out, right hand in and a little work, even easy to put back in.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well, it was a good question, got me thinking and I went out to re enact it and just snapped a few pictures. This way anyone wanting to do that can see how before they begin. Only dumb question is one that went un-asked. Soon enough we will have so much info here, even the mechanically challenged can fire up the site and do just about anything to the X they need or want to. That's how it should be. MC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts