Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading up on the merits of oil catch cans (basically they reduce oil blow back via the PCV that can make its way into the intake / throttle body - which apparently can reduce performace, gum up the engine, and cause pre-mature catalytic convertor failure) I decided to buy one.

That, and I did see some oil residue when installing my IMS and Volant...

So, they seem like a nice insurance policy since I expect to keep the Xterra for a very long time.

I decided on Moroso, model #85747 (their universal model). It was $140 from StreetSideAuto. Not the cheapest as far as catch cans go, but not the most expensive either. They had nothing but good reviews on the product - it is well designed, supposedly good quality, and includes baffling / filter media. Something the $20 ebay specials don't. It also has a drain valve - so that's a plus. It's capacity is 7.5oz - which, though not as large as other cans, should be sufficient to go between oil changes.

What really sold me on the Moroso was that they are based in CT - and when I called them I reached a real person who spoke at length about thier product and the paticulars of an oil catch can. They also include the proper hose for installation, again something most companies don't do.

Also - this Moroso video (in addition to the tons of pictures, namely here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/231227-oil-catch-can-install-guide.html) sold me as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9klkDCItEY

Here's what the moroso looks like:

If folks are interested I could do a howto / write up once installed. StreetSideAuto is pretty quick, so I expect to have the catch can by next week.

·
on line
236 Posts
After reading up on the merits of oil catch cans (basically they reduce oil blow back via the PCV that can make its way into the intake / throttle body - which apparently can reduce performace, gum up the engine, and cause pre-mature catalytic convertor failure) I decided to buy one.

That, and I did see some oil residue when installing my IMS and Volant...

So, they seem like a nice insurance policy since I expect to keep the Xterra for a very long time.

I decided on Moroso, model #85747 (their universal model). It was $140 from StreetSideAuto. Not the cheapest as far as catch cans go, but not the most expensive either. They had nothing but good reviews on the product - it is well designed, supposedly good quality, and includes baffling / filter media. Something the $20 ebay specials don't. It also has a drain valve - so that's a plus. It's capacity is 7.5oz - which, though not as large as other cans, should be sufficient to go between oil changes.

What really sold me on the Moroso was that they are based in CT - and when I called them I reached a real person who spoke at length about thier product and the paticulars of an oil catch can. They also include the proper hose for installation, again something most companies don't do.

Also - this Moroso video (in addition to the tons of pictures, namely here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/231227-oil-catch-can-install-guide.html) sold me as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9klkDCItEY

Here's what the moroso looks like:

If folks are interested I could do a howto / write up once installed. StreetSideAuto is pretty quick, so I expect to have the catch can by next week.
would love to see a write up

·
Registered
698 Posts
I too would like to see the writeup. Looks like a good unit. My trucks got 140K+ on it, but I suppose it's never too late to add one of these.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about contacting the company about a group buy?

Sn0
I called the manufactoring company direct and they said they are just starting to offer direct sales. Unfortunately when asked if I could buy over the phone (the direct website is coming) the rep said it would be hard for them to sell under $190. And admitted I could purchase from a distributor for cheaper.

Why its cheaper to buy from a distributor than direct I have no idea. So, I doubt a GB would really be a good deal from Moroso. Though maybe from a distributor.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Cool ... always love a good write-up; but if you've not got the time, I get that as well.

Would be most interested in unbiased opinions of quality/ease of installation ... you've been good at that stuff in the past (thanks!).

·
Registered
3,012 Posts

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Hasn't this been done? Maybe not with this product, but........

How-to:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28291&highlight=oil+catch

Discussed here also:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64623&highlight=oil+catch

Please let us know what your impressions are after the install. So far it seems like very few in the X community have anything good to say, or much experience with them.

Every few months a thread about these pops up and someone installs it and has 0 effect and they trash it a few months down the road.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool ... always love a good write-up; but if you've not got the time, I get that as well.

Would be most interested in unbiased opinions of quality/ease of installation ... you've been good at that stuff in the past (thanks!).
Thanks! It should (key word) be a relatively easy install. Like under an hour. I think the biggest issue will be finding a mounting point.

Hasn't this been done? Maybe not with this product, but........

How-to:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28291&highlight=oil+catch
Yes that was one of the threads that I researched. Though I wish it was a little more descriptive on the hookups. Maybe I'll do a supplement. There's also a how to on ClubFrontier that I'll be using for my install as well. Oh, and Silverflash did a DIY one using an air / oil seperator (a common DIY) on the site.

But beyond those 2 members, I haven't really seen too much on the site. For what seems like a good maintainence idea.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Every few months a thread about these pops up and someone installs it and has 0 effect and they trash it a few months down the road.

Hmm, I dunno then man. I've only seen 2 people on here using it and they both seemed like it collected a fair amount of oil, which would have made its way into the air / fuel mixture. That and the folks on the frontier board + some 350Z / G35 owners were the only references I could find for applying a catch can on a VQ engine.

Guess I'll see if its worth it or not. I'm pretty non-bias about this stuff and don't mind being a guinea pig.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I was able to use the forum search, and only found 4 threads about catch cans. The two I posted above seemed the most informative. It is on my eventual list.....

·
Registered
7,713 Posts

This statement tells me that the people whom take them off because they "don't work".... don't understand the purpose of a catchcan and for you to recite means you can be clumped into said group.
: P
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
This statement tells me that the people whom take them off because they "don't work".... don't understand the purpose of a catchcan and for you to recite means you can be clumped into said group.

: P
Posted via Mobile Device

I think it's worth while to fix the oil issue instead of buying a placebo part to "enhance" anything. Thousands and thousands of cars are on the road without catch cans and have millions of miles combined on them and there's no need for this sham.

It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Clump me into whatever group you want. I won't lose sleep over it.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Those that had to empty with some frequency had diy setups with limited capacity. A large enough capacity can should function fine between oil changes. As to this being a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, could be. But something doesn't seem right about oil in the intake. Maybe it's overkill.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
I think it's worth while to fix the oil issue instead of buying a placebo part to "enhance" anything. Thousands and thousands of cars are on the road without catch cans and have millions of miles combined on them and there's no need for this sham.

It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Clump me into whatever group you want. I won't lose sleep over it.

You're speaking out of your ass... You don't know what you're talking about.... per usual. You're out of your league here, just tuck tail and move on.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Actually, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Originally, breathers dumped oil and blowby onto the road. Then, in the 1970s, we realized that we could reduce pollution by recirculating and burning these hydrocarbons. On some cars, like a few Hondas, that can cause carbon fouling in the intake and throttle body. But most cars go through their entire lifespan without this causing any problems.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Though I do think it is something that can only better the life of the engine, it's way too overkill for us average DDs. Most 'catch cans' on the market are cheep knockoffs and only collect the liquid oil, not the oil vapors, that can still coat your valves and rings. If you want to stop this your going to have to spend the money on well engineered catch cans. My personal belief is If you maintain your engine properly it will never see sludge.

People seem to forget that teams of Masters in Automotive Mechanical Engineering have for years designed flawless engines. My old 3.3 ran to 225k (and still running) and opening the thing up, it looked perfect. Did it loose a little HP? Sure it did, but oil buildup on my valves were only a tiny piece of the power loss puzzle.

I would put a catch can on a tuner car any day. When I'm pushing the engine to its max and I need every kind of maintenance option available to keep it running like mile 17 I'd agree with you. But my truck Might see 3.5-4k RPM's on days I'm running late.

Again, it's not a bad idea by any means, but to do it right, it's going to be up there. I'd put my pennies to my next tank of gas.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts