Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - Hate to repeat my question in another topic line, but I'm brand new here and I've been reading some of the posts around oil and filter changes. I am just about to do my first oil change at 6 months. I was about to get the Amsoil XL when i saw the Amsoil SAE will work for a full year before needing another change (i put on fairly low mileage).
What filters should i pair up with the Amsoil that will also last the year? I noticed that some of you will only pair up the Amsoil filters, but i was wondering if any other would work? Will the Nissan filter?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Well just about any filter would be okay..... but i would not suggest keeping a filter on for a year, even if it is an amsoil filter.

Thats just my 2 cents.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
The AMsoil filter is good for a year, it's a special filter, BUT! I find that the % of people who actually qualify for the Yearly Oil change is low. Look at the service life requirements, Trips less than 10 miles, long idle periods, dusty conditions such as wheeling, modified engines, use of a K&N air cleaner all reduce you to the 15K mile interval. That may still get you a year and the filter will still be good. Amsoil does make an oil for us that is designed to go 6 months, but after all I studied, I decided on the better oil, an Amsoil air Filter, Oil filter and change it out at 15K whenever I get there, and not worry at all if I go over a few K. You just can't beat that set up! MC

·
on line
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oil changes

Thanks Eddo and MC for your responses.
Also, thanks MC and everyone for your help in the how to's. MC - your how to post is what got me thinking about the 1/year oil changes...
I may just use the lower mileage amsoil twice/year, as my mileage is pretty low.

·
on line
189 Posts
i use the K&N Filter since it has the socket on it and i can just use a socket and take it out

and for Oil i use the Mobil 1 Syntec for Truck adn SUV

1 - 5 of 5 Posts