Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
And thank you for your help. I am really hoping to clean it up, slap a new axel and fluid in it and send it but I am worried that metal may have entered the bearing where the CV enters the diff/TC OR worse case have to rip the entire lower part of the front apart to replace diff/ transfer case.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
fyi,
the part that looks like a "front axle" is the front differential, the Transfer case is further back. The transfer case is connected to the transmission, then there is a short drive shaft going forward from the t-case to the front diff, then the cv axles at each end of the front diff that drive the wheels.

hope that clears up some confusion!

I doubt the T-case is involved.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
fyi,
the part that looks like a "front axle" is the front differential, the Transfer case is further back. The transfer case is connected to the transmission, then there is a short drive shaft going forward from the t-case to the front diff, then the cv axles at each end of the front diff that drive the wheels.

[/

·
TNX Veteran
4,088 Posts
If it were me, I'd be pulling the front Diff (it's just 3 bolts and isn't hard to do) opening it up to make sure the ring gear, pinion gear, and spider gears are all intact. If they are, seal it up, fill it and put it all back together with new CV's (yes, both of them) Make sure you replace that diff seal.

Given the fact that you were running that side for some time with the CV not actually in, I'd be checking the other side anyway.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
fyi,

Thanks, I
If it were me, I'd be pulling the front Diff (it's just 3 bolts and isn't hard to do) opening it up to make sure the ring gear, pinion gear, and spider gears are all intact. If they are, seal it up, fill it and put it all back together with new CV's (yes, both of them) Make sure you replace that diff seal.

Given the fact that you were running that side for some time with the CV not actually in, I'd be checking the other side anyway.
. Everything above sounds like solid advise. But why both CV’s . I am going to do it, just curious why I am going to be doing it?

·
TNX Veteran
4,088 Posts
Well, for one, you'll have a trail spare (provided it's in good shape), which you will need if you are going to continue off roading. Second, at this point in the life of your X it's kind of like only replacing one tire instead 2 or 4, or only doing one set of brake pads, they are not expensive, just do it.

That said, I have looked closely at your blown up picture, and those teeth inside absolutely show wear on the leading edge. Can you run it like that?... probably, should you.... I wouldn't, at lest not for long. As stated many times before, you really need to tear that thing apart and inspect every single bit of it, both sides.

While you have the diff out and open, clean the living daylights out of it with brake cleaner.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
My guess, whoever put the lift in never got the axle fully seated in the differential. Nor did they actually go offroading to the point the OP did. Now get into some steering angle and flex and the not correctly seated axle came out.

From the angles of the first pictures, it sure looked like broken parts.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
After some research, the axle will just pop out under extreme conditions when you rig has been modified more than body lift. If it happens again I am doing the 180 to 205 swap, and when I have some money, finish off it off with the full Titan swap. I just finished putting the axle in and going fill the rig with fluids and send it. Fingers crossed. I will follow up later today to let you if I did and diff damage.

·
TNX Veteran
4,088 Posts
I have NEVER seen a CV just pop out due to a rig being lifted. I have run 100's of Moab trails, all of the Ouray Colorado trails with some of the most extreme Xterra's and Frontiers in the country, I have changed about 15 CV's on and off the trail. It just doesn't happen. It wasn't installed incorrectly. The most extreme thing a front suspension can do is go to full droop, and in our rigs that is limited by the ball joints, and the shock, and or the UCA. The inner CV joint slides back and forth to compensate for exactly that, it's engineered that way. Changing over to the 205 and titan geometry won't change that fact it simply allows for more travel. I don't know where you're getting that info, but it's bullshit.

The front suspension has a limited amount of travel. Compression (up travel) and droop (down travel). Lifting the rig decreases the droop and extends the compression, it does not allow it move farther. The limits are the limits, period. T swapping the suspension gives you more travel, but the limits are still the limits, and the CV's are engineered to move exactly the same way.

Pull the diff cover, check it properly and replace that seal, or suffer the potential consequences. It's your rig.

I have given you sound advice from a ton of experience, yet you seem hell bent on disputing it with nonsense. Fix it right, or don't, I don't really care, but I'm all done offering you guidance.

Good luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well i replaces one axle and replaced then fluid and everything seems great. I will say the right side axle does pop in and out easily when the suspension is off and the axle seems like it should go in another 1/16 of an inch. Yes I checked the depth with out the snap ring and with to make sure it was all the way in. The past owner said he never replaced them and by the dry rot in the boots I believe him. I did notice considerable dry rot on the left axles boots so we are going to replace that one soon. I do respect everyone input on my situation. I didn’t follow everyone’s advise because I am on a tight budget and if there was major issues this truck would be up for sale. So far so good, I am still a little concerned about how easily these CV come out of the diff. One clean jerk (when the suspension is disassembled) and it comes right out. To test it out I did take the rig through some darn tough trails last weekend and no issues. I even got some compliments from the Jeep guys, Thanks for everyone’s input, everyone’s advise was super useful, Cheers

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Tou
I have NEVER seen a CV just pop out due to a rig being lifted. I have run 100's of Moab trails, all of the Ouray Colorado trails with some of the most extreme Xterra's and Frontiers in the country, I have changed about 15 CV's on and off the trail. It just doesn't happen. It wasn't installed incorrectly. The most extreme thing a front suspension can do is go to full droop, and in our rigs that is limited by the ball joints, and the shock, and or the UCA. The inner CV joint slides back and forth to compensate for exactly that, it's engineered that way. Changing over to the 205 and titan geometry won't change that fact it simply allows for more travel. I don't know where you're getting that info, but it's bullshit.

The front suspension has a limited amount of travel. Compression (up travel) and droop (down travel). Lifting the rig decreases the droop and extends the compression, it does not allow it move farther. The limits are the limits, period. T swapping the suspension gives you more travel, but the limits are still the limits, and the CV's are engineered to move exactly the same way.

Pull the diff cover, check it properly and replace that seal, or suffer the potential consequences. It's your rig.

I have given you sound advice from a ton of experience, yet you seem hell bent on disputing it with nonsense. Fix it right, or don't, I don't really care, but I'm all done offering you guidance.

Good luck.
Your advise was very helpful, thank you. No disrespect, just lack of funds, I had to try the cheap way first.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts