Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Xterra Pro 4X
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched this, it seems the only non-DIY version is Wam. Of course RockyMtnX no longer produces his, the other member making them is AWOL, and PRG is also in the wind... I couldn't find any files or drawings here.

My searching did find this outfit on Etsy, they have plan files with the DXF files for a winch mount to get everything cut, and instructions for assembly. They also have several other plans for skid plates, full front bumper, rear bumper with carrier, and a bunch of stuff for other trucks.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Or know where I can get a drawing of RockyMtnX's mount?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 Xterra S M6 and 2010 Xterra Off Road
204 Posts
I posted something about them a while back as I was thinking of attempting my own.

I posted on Xterra Crew on Facebook(I think) and someone said 'that looks like 'this' companies design. They are known for quality issues, so if you buy, be careful. I think my take away would be. You're already planning on fabbing/cutting it yourself. Be careful and double check their design and make sure it makes sense and measure as much as possible to confirm their measurements before you weld it all together.

Coastal Offroad sells the kit themselves. Sends you all the pieces and you weld it together. I didn't think their kit was enough 'cheaper' than a shrock to be worth my time. I 'think' my questoin was on rear tire carrier design and not the winch carrier...but guessing its the same situation.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2012 Xterra Pro 4X
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I posted something about them a while back as I was thinking of attempting my own.

I posted on Xterra Crew on Facebook(I think) and someone said 'that looks like 'this' companies design. They are known for quality issues, so if you buy, be careful. I think my take away would be. You're already planning on fabbing/cutting it yourself. Be careful and double check their design and make sure it makes sense and measure as much as possible to confirm their measurements before you weld it all together.

Coastal Offroad sells the kit themselves. Sends you all the pieces and you weld it together. I didn't think their kit was enough 'cheaper' than a shrock to be worth my time. I 'think' my questoin was on rear tire carrier design and not the winch carrier...but guessing its the same situation.

Good Luck
I have been here only a little while, but based on my research that last day or two I think I know what company you are referring to 😬 but it might be better than me starting off on my own, I am a novice when it comes to fab work. I think it might have to be narrowed a bit, the later X has a narrower frame at the front, and that design appears to be for the earlier 2nd gen trucks. Sure wish I could get a drawing of the one RockyMtnX did...

I have seen Coastal's stuff and like how it looks, if I could afford it I'd order one of everything for my Xterra from there.

All I really NEED at the moment is a winch mount, and maybe some sliders.

·
Registered
2006 Xterra S M6 and 2010 Xterra Off Road
204 Posts
Start wtih sliders. Very easy project. See my slider build thread from last spring. I had owned a welder for a years, just never used it. Friend talked me in to plunging in as I didn't want to spend all that money on a 'good' set. So I copied AJ's offroad design, fixed their mount, learned to weld along the way.

Here's that link

DIY Rock Sliders

·
Registered
2012 Xterra Pro 4X
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas and help. Looks like the Xterra world is a lot of DIY, we don't have the numbers of the Taco or various flavors of Wrangler or the country's best selling vehicle the F150 to support a lot of aftermarket. DIY is fun, just need to invest in a welder, plasma cutter, and some other stuff. I do have a circuit wired into my garage to support a welder, I did that a couple years ago.

I spent this morning gathering all the pictures and info I could from the RockyMtnX thread and a couple others to kind of figure out how to do the winch mount on my own. Frankly his design is by the far the strongest and most efficient; I'm not a ME, and I only minored in physics, but I can tell just by looking at.

Sliders are kind of interesting, everyone seems to have a different idea of how to do those. Some like Rocky Road make them out of some seriously heavy material like hitch steel, others make them out of 0.125 square or rectangle tube... Some folks have tubing and kickouts, some bolt on, some weld on, quite a few different ways to do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts