Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I don't want to be debbie downer here, but it's not the best idea to get that close to wildlife for a full grown adult, let alone a kid.

Anyways, nice pictures.

·
Registered
701 Posts
they come right up and feed out of your hands at my cousin's house in the mountains! now around my way... they're ridiculously overpopulated and terrified of humans. We went trail riding on the mountain bikes latenight one night and were coming out of the woods next to a school, a mom and babies started darting all around us, i about shat myself haha.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They usually keep much further distance when around our place. This was just a rare moment, second later she was gone. We do not feed them, it's just we live surrounded by a crown land and they sometimes walk close by, but are still very cautious...Some neighbors have a couple returning regularly, there is one named Samantha and some feed her out of their hand, wondering this was probably her as she wasn't running away from my daughter...till the very end.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Well, I think it's cool. Kudos for enjoying that rare moment.

As for the others, live a bit. If you are that worried about every risk in life, you are in for a very dull existence. Don't dare drive your Xterra or put your kids in it. Car accidents are very common and quite dangerous.

·
on line
14,613 Posts
i might try it with a deer but where do you draw the line?
Moose?
Bear?
Harbor seal?
Sea Lion?
Grey wolf?
Mountain lion?

We just had a kid mauled by a mountain lion here in the San Jose area.
Picked up by the back of the neck and hauled into the woods .

I had a black bear come running down the hill last weekend and in front of my truck(ask SunnyvaleX).
I had to fight the urge to get out and pet him. :)

Mountain lions are cute..... :) :) :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
i might try it with a deer but where do you draw the line?
Moose?
Bear?
Harbor seal?
Sea Lion?
Grey wolf?
Mountain lion?

We just had a kid mauled by a mountain lion here in the San Jose area.
Picked up by the back of the neck and hauled into the woods .

I had a black bear come running down the hill last weekend and in front of my truck(ask SunnyvaleX).
I had to fight the urge to get out and pet him. :)

Mountain lions are cute..... :) :) :)
i sat on a slug in my garage the other day. that's where i draw the line with wildlife.

·
on line
2,651 Posts
Well, I think it's cool. Kudos for enjoying that rare moment.

As for the others, live a bit. If you are that worried about every risk in life, you are in for a very dull existence. Don't dare drive your Xterra or put your kids in it. Car accidents are very common and quite dangerous.
No, there's some basic outdoor ethical guidelines that everyone should follow. If you don't understand them them you are part of the problem that gets sh1t closed or access limited. Or someone has to go make a sign because someone was too stupid to calculate some basic logic. Your mentality is exactly why lawsuits involving too hot of coffee result in required warning signs on cups.

Case and point do we really need these signs all over Yellowstone, no, but some jackass got gored to death trying to take a macro picture of a Bison and some attorney made the NPS put up these disclaimers.

·
Registered
822 Posts
It comes down to common sense. The guy getting too close to 2000lb buffalo for a picture is an idiot for a few reasons that I'm sure are obvious to everyone. The deer in those pics is obviously used to humans and isn't looking to make a meal out of small kid or protect anything. Is it a foolproof move to let them get so close? No, but the neighbors dog is more likely to hurt the kid than that deer is, statistically.

The hot cup of coffee thing is because people tried to make money off burning themselves. They would have been angry if they got cold or even warm coffee but when the hot coffee they wanted burns them its someone else's fault.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
The deer out here are a nuisance. Way over populated and they are starving each other out. Hitting a deer every 6 months or so is not out of the norm. I can't stand them. There so many of them and they cause a lot of property damage. Vehicles, plants, shrubs, etc.

There is a house on my way home that sits on the apex of a very steep hill and sharp curve in the road. These people insist on feeding the deer. Not uncommon to be cresting the hill and coming around the curve to find deer in the road headed to or coming from their front yard. I lay on the horn to spook them out of the road. Otherwise they stand there and casually stroll out of the way while you hit the brakes. A neighbor said those people complained about everyone honking and having to listen to car horns in the country. Well quit creating a traffic hazard! Rats with hooves.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
It comes down to common sense. The guy getting too close to 2000lb buffalo for a picture is an idiot for a few reasons that I'm sure are obvious to everyone. The deer in those pics is obviously used to humans and isn't looking to make a meal out of small kid or protect anything. Is it a foolproof move to let them get so close? No, but the neighbors dog is more likely to hurt the kid than that deer is, statistically.

The hot cup of coffee thing is because people tried to make money off burning themselves. They would have been angry if they got cold or even warm coffee but when the hot coffee they wanted burns them its someone else's fault.

Also more likely to die in a car crash, then a plane crash

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Cool pics. I'm jealous of the property you have there! I grew up over closer to the East coast of Canada and miss having unlimited woods and wild areas to explore.

Also, for the sheep posting here, there is a difference between the OP and their kid enjoying a moment in nature and natural selection taking its course in some of your references. If you don't know how to draw the line between a deer visiting your back lawn and a freaking mountain lion prowling your yard then you're going to have a rough life and a lot more issues than just wildlife.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Worse thing that could happen is the deer get spooked, make a run for it and knock the kid down....nothing major here.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Very cool, as a kid I got to do the same thing with a local pet deer. It had a collar to discourage hunters from bothering it, it had no fear of humans.

They were cute until I started driving, and got to visit my local body shop more often. I know them so well, they gave me a shop logo T-shirt, that they made for the employees.....I'm a reliable customer. disgust (Well, maybe it's not that bad, but they are thick here, if you drive at all, it's not "if" you hit one, it's "when.")

Now I have deer in my yard all the time. Come November, I might send a few of them an invite for dinner...at about Mach 3, give or take.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Also more likely to die in a car crash, then a plane crash
And you still don't see everyone running out and selling their cars to buy planes haha. It just further proves the point that you can't live life scared of everything and that every situation calls for a different amount of caution and skepticism. :eek:ccasion5:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts