Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Currently we are under contract on a duplex in the North Park Hill region and we wanted to add a 2 bay garage in the alley. We have a quote from Budget Garages and I know roughly what Tuff Shed would run but I wanted to see if there were any residential construction people out there who would be interested in giving me a quote or other options. I would just like to reiterate that I would like this as budget as possible because this is a rental/investment property and we only plan to live there for 3-4 years. The 8' tall door is the only "perk" that I would be willing to spend extra money on.

Minimum Specifications:

• Detached 22'x22'
  • Gable Roof
  • 2 - Entry Doors
  • 2 - 8'x8' Garage Doors
  • No Windows
  • Basic Electric
  • Flat Ground Construction (Existing concrete/parking pad will be taken out beforehand)
  • I can do roof/siding myself to keep things as "budget" as possible.

Thanks everyone, post up or PM me if interested. And by all means if you have a Concrete Guy, Framing Guy, etc and think we could do it cheaper that way I am up for anything. There is just a lot of stuff that needs to be taken care of and not enough money to do it all:/

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Tell you what - if you have any interest in doing so, we could have a "garage mod day" and frame it up in no time. I've got all the saws (that's power saws, not sway-a-ways :)) and a burly-a$$ nail gun, that's about all we need to build your walls. Get concrete lined up, you're nearly set.

Would go something like this:
- Measure out your floor and mark it off
- frame up your walls
- measure out the placement of your j-bolts
- get the concrete guy to pour your floor
- sink the j-bolts
- wait for concrete to set
- put up your framed walls

etc, etc. Honest, a structure such as the one you are describing (no windows, etc) would not be at all difficult to DIY with the right tools and a couple buddies.

I'm happy to volunteer a weekend or two if you'll supply the usual sustenance for such projects (aka pizza/beer).

Have a look at this - it really is just about as easy as this makes it look (actually easier, cuz you're planning a simple concrete floor). http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Shed

If you have room in your breaker box to add a couple more lines, simple electrical would be easy, too.

Only thing that I'd think you might need to pay a pro for would be the roof trusses...

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
James, this is the exact type of "other option" I was hoping for. I ran a small residential roofing company when I was younger and have a strong background in construction and building materials. Currently I have the compressor that will run 2 guns "on blast" no problem and the nailers, however I had to sell my table saw when I moved out here so that is what I'm lacking (don't know if it would be necessary) and some other random specialty tools I'm sure.

My biggest concern as Sam wrote to me is the permits in Denver County. I have left a few messages and have not received a call back. I know there is a homeowners contractors test that needs to be taken as well or the contractors pull each permit and the inspector has to do a final walk through on a separate permit.

But I truly believe if I could get the permits and the pad poured we could do the rest, which would be HUUUUGEEEE for my wallet and Mod days!!! I'm thinking 9' walls and 8' doors would be good for say Treff's lift, but was going to have him measure for sure!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
^ I'm certain that a few enthusiastic people with power hand tools could get that thing framed fairly quickly as James noted. And I'll bet there are plenty of tools in this group! It would be a mod day for the mod garage.

I agree that permits, concrete, and trusses are the big items.

·
Registered
393 Posts
James, this is the exact type of "other option" I was hoping for. I ran a small residential roofing company when I was younger and have a strong background in construction and building materials. Currently I have the compressor that will run 2 guns "on blast" no problem and the nailers, however I had to sell my table saw when I moved out here so that is what I'm lacking (don't know if it would be necessary) and some other random specialty tools I'm sure.

My biggest concern as Sam wrote to me is the permits in Denver County. I have left a few messages and have not received a call back. I know there is a homeowners contractors test that needs to be taken as well or the contractors pull each permit and the inspector has to do a final walk through on a separate permit.

But I truly believe if I could get the permits and the pad poured we could do the rest, which would be HUUUUGEEEE for my wallet and Mod days!!! I'm thinking 9' walls and 8' doors would be good for say Treff's lift, but was going to have him measure for sure!!
Yeah, I've been meaning to take the homeowners test as well.

Here's the info if you need it: http://www.denvergov.org/developmen...ects/HomeownersExam/tabid/436705/Default.aspx

The only caveat is that this only applies to the property you are listed as owner on. You do need to know code/construction issues, but I've heard that if you don't pass it, you can take it again after waiting 30 minutes.

As for the permits, here is info for garages: http://www.denvergov.org/developmen...AttachedandDetached/tabid/441376/Default.aspx

Zoning requirements will be a big part of where you can locate it and how tall it can be. Let me know if you need some help on that end, it's part of what I do for a living.

And you've got another willing and able body to help out if needed, and any tools as well (compressor, nail guns, miter saw, etc.). I'm in Park Hill as well, so wouldn't be a big deal.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you^^^

I have had "budget garage" run all the info above and it will meet all zoning requirements. I feel this homeowner test may be more of a hassle/delay than I would like. All depending the criteria and what needs to be studied. I figure the permits will run around $800 and maybe I could pay a GC another $500-800 to pull the permits and handle the inspections. Do you think that is a valid possibility? But yes, I will be on the title so that caveat will not be an issue.

Oh now I know why you want to be so helpful being in park hill, Mod days around the corner!!! (joking)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thank you^^^

I have had "budget garage" run all the info above and it will meet all zoning requirements. I feel this homeowner test may be more of a hassle/delay than I would like. All depending the criteria and what needs to be studied. I figure the permits will run around $800 and maybe I could pay a GC another $500-800 to pull the permits and handle the inspections. Do you think that is a valid possibility? But yes, I will be on the title so that caveat will not be an issue.

Oh now I know why you want to be so helpful being in park hill, Mod days around the corner!!! (joking)
I honestly don't know how much prep you would need for the exams, if you have a general background in construction, it might just be brushing up on code (I have one of those code check books if you want to borrow it).

Are you talking about just hiring the GC for pulling permits and being present during the inspections, and dealing with the sub-contractors yourself? I don't know if you would get a GC to only pull permits and handle inspections, probably not worth their time. They make profit by marking up the subs.

In all honesty, if time is a factor, and you can't pull yourself away from your real job, you are probably better off just hiring a design-build outfit, as I'm pretty sure you'll need to submit construction drawings for the building plan review.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you talking about just hiring the GC for pulling permits and being present during the inspections, and dealing with the sub-contractors yourself? I don't know if you would get a GC to only pull permits and handle inspections, probably not worth their time. They make profit by marking up the subs.
I'm talking about a fellow Xterra guy that could possibly handle the task as a favor rather than a job. It would be the only way to make this work I think.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Permits, etc = out of my realm. I know nothing of them. When I built my deck (600+ sq ft, sunken hot tub, two staircases - yep, proud of myself!!), the city said they required permits only if any portion of said deck was 30" or more above grade.

Mine's 29-1/2" above grade at the highest point. This was not an accident :D

If you can arrange the paperwork, I'm more than happy to bring table saw, sawzall, miter saw with table, circular saw, compressor, nail gun, heaps of nails, squares, hammers and anything else we need to hurt ourselves.

We'll frame that sucker out in no time!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Permits, etc = out of my realm. I know nothing of them. When I built my deck (600+ sq ft, sunken hot tub, two staircases - yep, proud of myself!!), the city said they required permits only if any portion of said deck was 30" or more above grade. Mine's 29-1/2" above grade at the highest point. This was not an accident :D If you can arrange the paperwork, I'm more than happy to bring table saw, sawzall, miter saw with table, circular saw, compressor, nail gun, heaps of nails, squares, hammers and anything else we need to hurt ourselves. We'll frame that sucker out in no time!
Hey Chris,
I've got a concrete guy if you need him. I'm more than happy to help out and between my brothers and I we've got most of the tools needed.. Pulling the permits shouldn't be that bad in Denver LOL!! How big of a garage can you build on the lot and maintaining the proper easements between neighbors. When we did our Garage one of the biggest issue's was if they'd let us pour a monolithic pad or will you have to do footers and so forth you'll definitely need to check that out. Let me know what I can do to help out as well.. My brother has a skid steer we can use and I'll see if he still had his dump trailer also..
Bill

·
Registered
482 Posts
Chris:

I'll definitely help. I have decent tools for carpentry/framing work. DIY'd a full roof and pergola over my 12' x 43' deck a few years ago. Permits and inspections were a breeze (and cheap) here in Castle Rock, so I was spoiled.

Remember, depending on the formula of concrete that you pour, it can take up to 30-days for a full cure and thus when you can start framing.

Mark

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Well I know nothing on permits and such, and I don't have any of the tools or know how required, but I take direction well am always willing to lend an extra set of hands if they're needed :D!

·
Registered
375 Posts
id also be willing to help, i have built a ton of stuff and poured alot of concrete. if you can get the permits together i bet we all could knock it out in a few days. fueled by beer and pizza of course lol
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 53 Posts