Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday was my first adventure off roading, I was pretty excited/nervous about heading out on the trails, I use the X as my DD and recently moved to where
I have trail access.

I wonder how other people feel when navigating the trail, are you nervous or excited or stoked to push the limits of the truck?

I was super impressed with the xterra, I had a little issue with disengaging the 4Lo but other than that it went well. I found myself hoping I was close to the end of the trail, like I was waiting to be done, but now I'm wondering when I'll get the chance to head back out hence the 'secondary fun'.

Part of me feels I'd be better with a bike or a vehicle only for trails, to ease the nervousness of breaking something and being screwed for commuting.

·
Registered
835 Posts
So yesterday was my first adventure off roading, I was pretty excited/nervous about heading out on the trails, I use the X as my DD and recently moved to where
I have trail access.

I wonder how other people feel when navigating the trail, are you nervous or excited or stoked to push the limits of the truck?

I was super impressed with the xterra, I had a little issue with disengaging the 4Lo but other than that it went well. I found myself hoping I was close to the end of the trail, like I was waiting to be done, but now I'm wondering when I'll get the chance to head back out hence the 'secondary fun'.

Part of me feels I'd be better with a bike or a vehicle only for trails, to ease the nervousness of breaking something and being screwed for commuting.
Mine's a daily driver also and I don't take it out just to thrash over obstacles on it. More of a camping and backcountry vehicle. I'd never take it to an 'offroad park' unless it was to test out some mod I'd made. I have a dirtbike that is way more fun for that stuff anyway.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i daily mine and take it to off road parks as well as camp. i dont see any harm if you stick to intro/intermediate trails. i would not recommend hitting any off-road park without skid plates and sliders. they made me much more comfortable when i was on the trails.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Mine is a daily driver. I have taken it offroading numerous times, including several trips to WENT. Understanding the limitations of your self and your rig are critical to keep from having your DD offline from an oops on the trails. I have hit obstacles hard enough to spin the truck around and put dents into both the body and my armor.

·
Registered
97 Posts
We live about 90 minutes from Moab and my wife has had to talk me out of (read vetoed ) pushing the X until it's no longer the DD. She's a mountain goat (the X, not SWMBO) and off road capabilities exceed our driving abilities. Got a side by side so we can do more exploring and off-roading w/o worrying about breaking the X. That said I can't wait until she can just be an overlander adventure mobile...Titan swap is in her future!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
TNX Veteran
3,599 Posts
Depending on the trail, I'm usually super nervous. Good chance I'm sweating. I'm listening to the Xterra scrape over rocks and drop and bang on a log. The front coil spring is making weird noises and the entire rear end is squeaking. I can't see half of what I'm driving over, so I'll hit a 2 foot pothole and the truck will tip into that corner on 2 wheels.

Every time I'm thinking "why the am I here?" I come home and spray paint over the scratches and bandaid over other random pieces of damage. And then two weeks later I go out and do it again.

It's not like a "YEAH THIS IS SO FUN! WAHOOOOOOOO!" kind of experience for me. It's more like an extreme challenge. High risk, high reward. The feeling of accomplishment, overcoming a challenge, and getting to where few others have gone is worth it for me. Mine is a weekend warrior luckily. But even knowing that, and have been doing this for 3 years, it doesn't seem to get any less nerve racking lol

·
Registered
339 Posts
I found myself hoping I was close to the end of the trail, like I was waiting to be done, but now I'm wondering when I'll get the chance to head back out
Living in indiana i dont have many "trails" but did get to go to a remote part of the UP in michigan last year.

Had a blast but several times found my self hoping the end of the trail was near as we were alone and made it with out damage. Wanted to keep it that way. Saw some very cool stuff though. Can't wait to go back with more knowledge and preperation.

Very jealous of all you guys that have state owned land close by.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I used to wheel my DD's pretty hard (rocks and crazy trails) but never abused them...Never made me nervous 'cause they were built for double duty, wven stock. However, sliders saved a lot of potential damage.

What did make me nervous was off camber on slippery surfaces, like snow with a huge dropoff...or, really steep, tight switchbacks where a 5 or 6 point turn was needed and the brakes would not hold while going on between R and D on the auto. Never had that issue with my manual but still nerve racking.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies everyone, it seems armor and sliders seem to ease some of the 'pressure'.

My off road came with stock armor, but no sliders or side steps. Maybe I'll be on the look out for some affordable sliders?!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone, it seems armor and sliders seem to ease some of the 'pressure'.

My off road came with stock armor, but no sliders or side steps. Maybe I'll be on the look out for some affordable sliders?!
The stock skids offer some protection but they won’t stop a rock from puncturing a vital component. If you’re doing mostly easy trails, they are sufficient but if you are planning on some harder ones with moderate rock obstacles I’d consider upgrading.

Alternatively, some have doubled up the engine and transfer case stock plates or reinforced them using plate aluminum. The radiator and gas tank skids are tougher to reinforce.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
for me i think its more a sense of accomplishment of completing a trail. also I tend to pick easy to moderate trails, its not fun to go out and break something every time. but its always cool when your done with the trail and like, wow .. i didnt think i'd make it over X obstacle.. but you did!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Mines a daily, though I have backups if needed.
For me, its about not damaging something that's expensive and still pretty nice. I don't want to crater a body panel OR break an axle (even though we always have a trailer nearby if needed).
I've definitely ended up on trails that were above my comfort level... usually based on me being the smallest/least capable truck. Including once when the spotter was pushing on the roof rack to stop me from rolling over when scooting around some boulders that I didn't have the rocker clearance to drive over. I have fun, even on the easy stuff...so I don't feel the need to push the limits. But my limits tend to be lower than the rest of the group :/

Before, I had engine and trans steel plate skids as well as rear plate bumper... but no rocker protection. Next time around, I'll have added sliders (which I expect to drag EVERYWHERE based on how close the rockers were before) as well as a gas skid. If I'm REALLY limited... I MIGHT park it and hop in one of the Jeeps... they will all me Rubicons with 33s or 35s.

Like this... usually out classed a bit.... New friends have 2019 Rubicons.

·
TNX Veteran
3,599 Posts
...and the brakes would not hold while going on between R and D on the auto. Never had that issue with my manual but still nerve racking.
Dude I've been experiencing this lately as well. Dunno if my brakes need a bleed or what, but I'll be on some slippery obstacle with my foot stomped on the brake. I shift from drive to reverse and somehow slide 16" backwards even though my foot never moves. Scares the sh** out of me every time

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Dude I've been experiencing this lately as well. Dunno if my brakes need a bleed or what, but I'll be on some slippery obstacle with my foot stomped on the brake. I shift from drive to reverse and somehow slide 16" backwards even though my foot never moves. Scares the sh** out of me every time

Is this in 4lo? maybe it just has so much torque its overpowering warm/ hot brakes?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I really just use the Xterra to go the extra mile( both figuratively and literally) off the beaten trail to get away from other people. youll see alot of trail heads where surabus or whatever cars are parked at the spot they couldn't get past.. I just keep on going.

I love finding that camp spot that is just alittle further than most people can get to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts