Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
on line
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on buying an Xterra next year, I have a few questions.

I was originally thinking about getting the S model with 4X4 and auto trans, but the Off Road model (also with 4X4 and auto) might better suit me. I was wondering if there is anything that the S has that isn't included in the Off Road model?

Second question, how is the ride in the Off Road model? Do you loose a comfortable ride for better offroad capabilities? Is it much of a difference?

Thanks for any info!

·
on line
168 Posts
I have an S with 4x4 Auto. I got it because all the OR's available were 2WD. Unless you are going to do some extreme off-road, the S 4x4 is very capable. I have gone off road, nothing extreme, and was very happy with the S. I added skid plates for the engine and the gas tank. I got the stock ones from Courtesy and put them on myself. If I was going rock crawling, I would put beafier skid plates or put some rebar stiffeners welded to the existing plates. The OR has more features. Depends on what you want to do with it.

·
on line
259 Posts
IMHO the Bilsteins, rear locker and tougher interior are worth it. Go OR, unless you expressly don't want to go off-road. And get the RF package if you can, its worth the money (IMHO).

:flower: :geek: :faroah:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If you plan on off roading get the OR model. The rear locker alone makes up for the extra cost. There is nothing on the S model that the OR does not have.

·
on line
376 Posts
Rastaman said:
IMHO the Bilsteins, rear locker and tougher interior are worth it. Go OR, unless you expressly don't want to go off-road. And get the RF package if you can, its worth the money (IMHO).

:flower: :geek: :faroah:
I also agree 100% with this !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
on line
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Muzikman said:
There is nothing on the S model that the OR does not have.
Ok, great, that was my main concern. It seemed as if the extra price between the S and OR wasn't enough to cover all the options. I was figuring the OR to be $4-5K more than the S, when I saw that it was only $2K+ more I figured maybe they took some of the options that the S had out.

"tougher interior"
I assume that means rubber mats? That's definitely good for me, I'm an electrician so I bring half of the construction site dust home with me everyday.

I am suffering right now in a lease on a Trailblazer, I love the truck, but I am starting to really hate the idea of leasing. I also hate the way the open rear diff will get me stuck in such trivial places (I've got pictures that will make you laugh your ass off).
Having a locking diff is definitely nice.

·
on line
386 Posts
VoltageHz said:
"tougher interior"
I assume that means rubber mats? That's definitely good for me, I'm an electrician so I bring half of the construction site dust home with me everyday.
Nope. They mean the interior fabric is a lot sturdier than on S.

·
on line
47 Posts
VoltageHz said:
Muzikman said:
There is nothing on the S model that the OR does not have.
Ok, great, that was my main concern. It seemed as if the extra price between the S and OR wasn't enough to cover all the options. I was figuring the OR to be $4-5K more than the S, when I saw that it was only $2K+ more I figured maybe they took some of the options that the S had out.

"tougher interior"

I am suffering right now in a lease on a Trailblazer, I love the truck, but I am starting to really hate the idea of leasing. I also hate the way the open rear diff will get me stuck in such trivial places (I've got pictures that will make you laugh your ass off).
Having a locking diff is definitely nice.
I'm an electrician also but be careful w/ these trucks. Soon after we brought it home it took it to work a few times. Don't let pipe or wiremold touch the dash, it'll scratch badly. I'm not sure what's meant by the fabric on the OR being sturdier but on my S a small piece of wire put a small scratch in the rear seat. Also cover the rear cargo area w/ something if carrying stock or tools. My tool bag and a few other things sliding around back there scratched the plastics. I've gotten most of them out but the scratch on the seat and the inside of the tailgate are still noticable. Had to go to the dealer for the one on the dash.

·
on line
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SKW, What's up sparky?

Thanks for the advice! I assume throwing scrap wire in the cargo area will scratch the hell out of it, I can always cut a piece of carpet to fit in there to keep it looking nice.

BTW, I hate wiremold and would never let it step foot in my vehicle :angryfire: :angryfire:

:toothy8:

·
on line
1,792 Posts
And the OR comes with a much better stereo.

My buddy has the S and I have the OR and we barely notice the difference in the ride. And as soon as it gets bumpy, it's the OR that seems to ride smoother.

In addition, the 265 75s stock on the OR give you that extra 1/2" clearance over the 70s on the S.

As far as the rear locker is concerned, it's been a lifesaver offroad. I second the other posts.

·
on line
52 Posts
I have been told that the OR package also has a stronger front differential (equal to Dana 44 diff)...is this true?? If so, then the rear locker and stronger front diff are definitely worth the small extra price of admission.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
d-rap said:
And the OR comes with a much better stereo.

My buddy has the S and I have the OR and we barely notice the difference in the ride. And as soon as it gets bumpy, it's the OR that seems to ride smoother.

In addition, the 265 75s stock on the OR give you that extra 1/2" clearance over the 70s on the S.

As far as the rear locker is concerned, it's been a lifesaver offroad. I second the other posts.
Unless you are in Canada, the OR come standard with the cheap radio, though the RF is an option.

·
on line
376 Posts
Yea I have the 06 OR and I have the cheap crap radio.......Opt for the RF system or plan on 500 to 1000 for you own nice setup to be instaled after you purchase..

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Yup I have the cheap radio in my OR. Doesn't bother me much.

·
TNX Administrator
20,234 Posts
kokopop said:
Believe it or not, I didn't buy my Xterra because of its cheap radio and I don't plan on changing it, as it does the job for me.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Old Navy said:
kokopop said:
Believe it or not, I didn't buy my Xyerra because of its cheap radio and I don't plan on changing it, as it does the job for me.
What is an Xyerra? :compress:

Me neither. Hell I wasn't even going to by an OR model until the dealer gave me the price on my X OR with an MT. he couldn't sell the MT and wanted it off his lot. (I thank my wife for finding the nice red one on the lot, otherwise I would have been in a S.)

·
on line
335 Posts
Thai said:
I have been told that the OR package also has a stronger front differential (equal to Dana 44 diff)...is this true?? If so, then the rear locker and stronger front diff are definitely worth the small extra price of admission.
i don't believe this is true. i heard it a while back, and asked about it...as far as i can tell they all come with the R180

and yeah, locker is huge. and the durability of the interior fabric is a nice plus (it shouldn't be though...it's just a big negative to the S)

·
on line
666 Posts
Out here in Colorado there is a few month waiting list for the OR 6spd. You will find no discounts or dealers giving them away.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts