Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is a fun one ...so my wifes 06 Xterra Off Road gets the rear end replaced under ext. warranty for making a howling sound under decal and they find water in the rear end and corrosion on the ring and pinion so they replace the rear axle assembly. Fast fwd 2.5K miles down the road and the diff lock and VDC lights start to go into some random fits of flashing then the ABS and slip light join the fun ...so when I get home I pull and look at the connectors off and look at them to ensure they are not damaged when we drove up to our property being logged to look at a few spots to build a new house and the was a few small branches and such we drive over on the drive in ...nothing, so then I pull the plug out of the rear end and a milky solution starts to pour out ....great huh. So I take so I risne the dirt off the tires so I dont get dir ton my self while I reach around the tires to check wiggle all the wheel speed sensors , to see if there is a problem there and then I directly take it back to the dealer , a few hours later they call me back and tell me there was water in the rear diff and it was causing the sensors to freak out, then they start on this water can only get in the rear and if I submerge it when I am launching my boat down a boat ramp or if I submerge it 4wheeling it ...I calmly explain to them that I dont own a boat or do I or the wife drive it through any mud holes , well proceed to tell me that they dont know what I do with the car when they are not watching and the only way water gets in the diff is if it was submerged. I tell the worst this thing has seen is being driven through a pretty good rainstorm and being washed with a garden hose they proceed to charge me $208.00 for the fluid change and clean out ...fast fwd several weeks and 78 miles and the no encouters with any kind of water other then being washed in the driveway to get the dust off of it after sitting , and the lights are on a again and after I get it back to the dealer it has went 101 miles total since it was last there ....well it has been there for almost 2 weeks and they finnaly call me today with the same tired ass boot launch and submerged crap and say that water appears to causing quite a bit of problems in there but ensured me the nissan engineers have had no other problems like this and that if they cant get the sensors to work that nissan does not sell them and that I would have to by another rear end for this damn thing at my cost because nissan does not cover water intrusion under warranty... It has like 3-4k miles since they installed the last one under extended warranty in the end of march..oh and the said it would be 3800.00 .

This is insane I just the POS to work so I can trade it in and buy her somthing else , I have owned 2 1st gen Xs and 5 D21s and a titan it had front and rear end problems as well should seen never bought this heap of crap.

Is there a way to cure this problem or has anybody else had problems like this , it looks like a few have from what I have read but not this extremely short time frame .

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Do you have proof that they installed a BRAND NEW rear axle (m226)? Did you see your old axle lying out and a new one with manufacturers stickers on the new one? This is not normal, what they said about the water getting in is true, but how easy the water is making it in is not common at all.

Typically the rear breather clogs on the axle and it blows out the side seals which can cause water entry when submerged. This also being true when the axle breather isn't clogged and the water can make it's way in when not extended properly.

I feel like there may be some missing info or the stealership may be a little shady...

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Do you have an ex wife? Or is your current wife sabotaging that X for a new vehicle?

Water can get in the diff, like they said, if submerged but even for that to happen the breather valve has to fail. I wheeled my for multiple years and never had that valve fail, even when the axle was submerged.
You said you drove 101 miles since the last fluid change and only washed it with a garden hose. Doesn't sound likely that that got water in there.
The only other option is that the dealership is just plain taking your money and not doing any of the work (never swapped the axle, never changed the fluid) in which case you have a whole new set of problems.

Something is suspect here though. Whether it be your story, the dealership, or whoever is pouring water in your differential.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It makes no sense at all to me , the axle looked new ...only thing I can think of is the breather is the one off the old axle and it is stuck open or something , and when I we driving through the rain storm due to the vents location it somehow drew a vacuum and was drawed in moisture via steam as the water hit the exhaust which is above the vent while driving down the frwy in the down pour , and I wonder if they did not get all the moisture out of it when it was in for the sensors acting up the first time , so there fore after some driving it (76 miles ) it occurred again ...leaving me where we are today ...Also the reason it has been sitting ( only 76 miles till it reoccured and 101 miles till it returned to the dealer) is the wife is in Alaska helping take care of her mother and grandfather ...

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
It shouldn't be from driving in rain or else half the Xterra's on the road would have failed rear diffs. The only time the diff will suck in air is when it cools down once hot (example - driving through cold water when hot and air inside contracting).

It shouldn't have had moisture in the first time either, it means something is definitely wrong with either their work or the parts they used.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have bled nissan for years , I have built and showed nissan for years , I even displayed a my NX2000 ( one of 25 displayed )at nissan's design and tech center in Farmington hills MI. for the 25th anniversary of the facility , Same car was in Nissan sport magazine , and I own a total of 7 cars everything from a 69 chevelle , a STI , to a ford Diesel truck that make 1096ftbs and 500+whp , I have never seen anything like this , I take good car of our cars, I am an avation mechanic , I now my way around a wrench ...this one just baffles me .

·
Registered
767 Posts
So quick thread jack, what year STi and what all you got done to it? I sometimes wish I still had mine.... /end thread jack.

Anyways like Xterra_Brit said, the breather shouldnt suck anything in unless the diff is cooling down so something is seriously jacked up!

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Do the breather extension, get it out for a good drive(get it hot). Come home and do a drain and fill. The Diff breather extension should eliminate any moiture getting in that way. If it continues after that my guess would be they jacked up the axle seal during install.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I live on the Oregon coast , but the Xterra is been up at my dads since the end of june just sitting there ....when we got it back from the axel replacement we drove it from Mount Vernon Wa. to Coos Bay OR. where I am stationed around a little bit and then over to eastern Oregon and up to Spokane WA. then back to Mount Vernon , then back to Coos bay, around here a bit , then I put it in my car trailer on the 3rd of July and rove it up to Washington ( wife was flying out AK , on the 7th and i wanted to leave her car up there in case she came back early ) Drove it around while up there and on the 4th when pulling off the frwy it had its first episode of the sensors and lights acting up , took it in on the 5th and got it back later that day 208.00 later with the boat launch water fording crap .....drove it from the dealership to my dads house and parked it sat for 2+ weeks and when I went up to visit my dad I took it to fill it up with gas since it was empty , drove it later that day to go shooting , then parked it for another 2 weeks , came back up and washed it , it had a nice layer of dust on it from sitting in the driveway ( it had not rained in quite a while and the cars driving by kick up alot of dust ) and drove it to bellingham to help my mom with a few things ( 20 or so miles away ) and it acted up again , drove over to drop her at her apartment and borrowed a ratchet and popped the plug and what looked like coffee with a bunch of creamer poured out so I put the plug back in and drove to my dads to grab my GTO so I had something to drive home when I dropped it back off ,funny part is I had the same friend with me evertime the Xterra moved since it first acted up...

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Your friend is cursed or possessed. Shoot them with a silver bullet, then put a stake thru the heart, then remove their head. Afterwards douse the entire corpse in holy water. Repeat the Hail Mary during the entire process lest you become affected!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts