Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new(sept 06) 2006 X OR. Off course these have different shocks than on the X, S, or SE models.

I've seen various discussions about the "rear suspension bottoming out" issue.

It's not clear to me whether that problem only happens with specific models, and whether people with an OR model have the problem.

A while ago, going over some 'large' speed bumps(the approx 2-3 foot wide ones that are used on roads that have to be plowed for snow removal), I thought I heard the 'rear bottoming out'. Before a trip to the dealer, I removed everything in the back of my X, and tried to reproduce the problem, but couldn't make it happen for myself, or for the dealership test drive. However, we only had 'small' speed bumps(the ones that are 6-8 inches across). While they had the X, the dealership checked, and said there were no signs that the rear suspension had bottomed out.

Then, a few days later, I found some 'large' speed bumps close to where I live(a whole street of them), and with nothing in the back of the X, I could not make it 'bottom out'.

On a recent trip back to Whistler(the site of the original 'large' speed bumps), with my normal 'stuff in the back of the X', I did hear noise going over the speed bumps, but I now think it is just the 'stuff in the back' making noise due to the hop at the rear when going over the speed bumps(due to the stiff rear suspension).

So, does the OR model have the 'rear bottoming out' problem or not?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
Yes it happens, but I personally think that 80% of the time it's how you drive. The other 20% is when it's loaded down too much in the back.

Honestly, I think it's the crappy leafs that Nissan is using in the X's and Frontiers (and I bet in the Pathfinders too).
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
656 Posts
I have been bottoming out going over the large speed bumps, too. (We call them "Sleeping Policemen", the sort with a gentle ramp, a plateau, then a descending ramp) The warning signs say Max Speed 30 MPH but I drive less and still bottom out. Same thing over conventional bumps. Didn't happen when the X was new. Now has >3500 miles.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,484 Posts
I'll second the crappy leafs Nissan gave us. They were more likely going after the Mall Crawler crowd's soft ride. Because when they test drive one that's the first thing they say. "Nice riiiiiide!" As long as test drive doesnt have dips. Those come after the sale, and for a week you go "What was that? Did I run over a kid on a bike?" - as you look into the rear view mirror.

I really thought they would have warranted that by now. Along with the rear hatch supports. MC
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,407 Posts
I'm guessing enough people haven't bugged Nissan yet about the leafs. Luckily for most of us on the board we have options. I am sure there are others that are bugged by the springs that think there are no solutions out there.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top