Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, I have gotten some conflicting information so I thought I would ask for your all's expertise. I have a 2010 S. I have the factory radiator skid plate and due to hunting, beach driving, etc, I would like to add more skid plates. I am a poor teacher so Shrockworks stuff that I see guys talk about are out of the question on my budget. I got to looking at Nissan's Parts site, and noticed that the "Cover Under-Engine" Part Number #50842 and is $26.00 and the "Cover Transmission Upper" Part Number 50884M is $22.00. So I have two questions:

According to the Nissan Parts website, these won't fit/work on my S because it's not an Off-Road series, is that truly the case?

If they would fit/work on my S, what are they made out of?

Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts
The factory skids for the offroad/pro4x will bolt right up to any trim xterra. You will need to buy most of the hardware too.

$26 and $22 sound way too cheap though. Are you sure those are the skids?

Edit:
I just looked, those are the skids and they are that cheap :thumbright:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Look at the FS pages here. A lot of people sell the OEM skids as well. The OEM skids are okay. Better than the plastic "skids" on my Blazer for sure but I'd still recommend getting a steel Hefty or Shrock engine skid though as the OEM one is very tiny and not very protective.

·
Professional Amateur Wanderer
471 Posts
The thing to be aware of is that the factory skids are very thin and are mainly used to prevent damage from lightly grazing obstacles. They definitely will not support the weight of the vehicle becoming perched on an obstacle. As long as you are aware of this, the factory skids should be fine for light to moderate adventures. The stock plates leave a lot of area under the Xterra exposed as well, some are more for looks than anything else, the transfer case "skid" comes to mind. You may want to scour around here, people seem to sell their skids every now and then.

This may be useful to you too:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/15-how-tos/17748-how-plastic-belly-protector-aka-hdpe-skids.html

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasn't looking for super heavy duty stuff, that is why I was thinking of just going with the OEM plates. The next question, how many bolts do I need? The Nissan site just shows one in the diagram, but I am really doubting each plate is only held on with one bolt each.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The site that RikRong posted has the need quantities for bolts, so I've got them now. Thanks for volunteering though jsexton! I drive through Lewis Center about once a month visiting my g/f's parents and family in Carey, nice area!

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Try getting prices off of this site (or any other Nissan site) and then find out if your dealer will price match. I was pleasantly surprised when mine did for a seal and cover and it saved me a good percentage of $.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
On a side note...you might want to clean out the nuts where the skids mount. If they've been exposed for a while, they might be rusty or filled with gunk/dirt. This will make life easier when trying to bolt them up.

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts
The site that RikRong posted has the need quantities for bolts, so I've got them now. Thanks for volunteering though jsexton! I drive through Lewis Center about once a month visiting my g/f's parents and family in Carey, nice area!
Ha! Small world. If you drive up 23, you drive within a mile or two of my house.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've been to Rausch Creek three or four times with factory skids. I wouldn't say they're worthless but unfortunately they're not much better than that. I was careful as possible not to hit things but inevitably I hit a tree stump and a few rocks. The radiator skid in particular is very deformed. It even sheared off one of the mounting bolts. We were able to bend it back in place on the trail and when I got home I replaced the bolt. I think it saved the radiator but it certainly isn't going to protect much. I was on green trails btw.

If you're not doing much off roading the factory skids should be ok. But anything on dirt is really recommend saving up for at least a good radiator skid. Even if you go stock for now until you find something for sale on this forum or the Facebook yard sale page. You won't regret it.

I got a complete set through P&P and I'm satisfied. Price was better than anything else I could find too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm also starting with an OEM set of skids and saving for a set of Hefty skids. My biggest issues with the OEM set are that the front diff is still exposed with the engine skid, and there is no transmission skid. If I have to buy the Hefty skids one at a time, I'm starting with a transmission skid to cover the gap. Then I'd replace the engine skid. After that, maybe the radiator skid if I dent it up, but I've done a lot of off roading and so far, the rad skid is fine. I just broke 30,000 miles so the X is at the stealership having all the fluids changed and also installing my Ballistic Fab diff cover. Had the cover painted red and all the bolts painted black. Too bad the bolts were the wrong thread pitch, so looks like I get the old bolts. Bummer. Time to fill out my feedback form to Ballistic Fab.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
:confused: Bedliner might help prevent rust or light scratches, but how would it make a skidplate more sturdy?
I always thought that they helped keep it more rigid? maybe stiffness? I guess I look at the Linex stuff and see how it protects stuff.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Double them up? Very interesting idea. Can all of them be doubled or just certain ones? Need longer bolts?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts