Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
FLAX;4[LEFT said:
274236]How do you like them? Increased vibrations or anything?
[/LEFT]
HaHa. Still sitting in the box in the garage. The parts guy in me routinely overestimates the amount of time the mechanic in me has. I need them and I thought they looked like a good deal too, so I just got them. They look like legit OEM parts.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[/LEFT]
HaHa. Still sitting in the box in the garage. The parts guy in me routinely overestimates the amount of time the mechanic in me has. I need them and I thought they looked like a good deal too, so I just got them. They look like legit OEM parts.
Haha I know how that goes. I've needed to replace them for a while now, hopefully they go on easily.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put these on this weekend, man what a difference. The engine must have been jumping around every time I hit the gas before because now the truck just goes instead of revving and then a second later accelerating. The ones on the truck had 161k on them and were absolutely shredded, the fluid had leaked out so long ago they were bone dry. I swapped them both out in about 20 minutes, super easy with an impact wrench and a bottle jack. With hand tools only it would probably take 45 minutes if you had a breaker bar.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I bought these too. Had trouble getting it so the center bolt lined up with the upper engine mounting bracket on the driver side. User error. I'll get back to it when it stops raining.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought these too. Had trouble getting it so the center bolt lined up with the upper engine mounting bracket on the driver side. User error. I'll get back to it when it stops raining.

You might need to jack the engine up a little higher. I noticed that when I installed them that the engine was sitting lower with the old mounts so when the new set went in it was too low to fit in and line up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You might need to jack the engine up a little higher. I noticed that when I installed them that the engine was sitting lower with the old mounts so when the new set went in it was too low to fit in and line up.
My fear was that I was raising it up too high and the upper engine mounting bracket was rotating for some reason. I had the bracket clearing the mount by about an inch at the highest.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I used the PRG Mount Install How-To during install but as I look at it now I may see my problem. I removed the lower engine mounting brackets and may not have aligned them correctly on reinstall. That would explain why the center wasn't aligning with the top anymore, with the bottom being misaligned. I'll have go loosen bolts and lift the engine, but at least I have a reasonable idea. Hope I didn't damage the new mounts.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used the PRG Mount Install How-To during install but as I look at it now I may see my problem. I removed the lower engine mounting brackets and may not have aligned them correctly on reinstall. That would explain why the center wasn't aligning with the top anymore, with the bottom being misaligned. I'll have go loosen bolts and lift the engine, but at least I have a reasonable idea. Hope I didn't damage the new mounts.
That could be it. I remember when I did mine I had to leave everything bolted really loose until they were all threaded to get them in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is the process the same for all years? I have a 2014 and read this how-to but the pictures look different in my Xterra.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is the process the same for all years? I have a 2014 and read this how-to but the pictures look different in my Xterra.
I believe so. It was between my '06 and '11, but I cannot say for sure on a '14. The one thing that may be causing this question for you though is doing them between a RWD and 4WD X. The guide shows him installing it on a 4WD model. The front diff is in the way of the driver side mount and makes accessing it more difficult than on a RWD X. But other than that year wise I am fairly certain the process is identical across the board for all 2nd gen Xs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was not looking at the right spot in the engine bay. Everything makes sense now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts