Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Does anyone have a pic of just their OEM fog lights on? Maybe someone who has done the wiring mod. I recently installed the OEM lights but they really don't seem to do much more than illuminate 5 or 6 feet in front of the vehicle. Maybe they need to be aimed. Just don't know for sure and have nothing to compare with.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
There is a mod that you can do in order to turn on just the fog lights but I haven't done it. When I put my fogs in there was no way to adjust the aim of the lights. Fog lights are designed to illuminate the dark area between the bottom of where the headlight first hits the road to the vehicle.

Hope this helps.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
There is a mod that you can do in order to turn on just the fog lights but I haven't done it. When I put my fogs in there was no way to adjust the aim of the lights. Fog lights are designed to illuminate the dark area between the bottom of where the headlight first hits the road to the vehicle.

Hope this helps.
The oem fog lights are adjustable.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So.. Does anyone have pics of their fog lights on by themselves?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Snowtrout! Great Pic! Do they actually light up much at night?

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
To drive without headlights? Depends on how much light is around. They don't project out that far. With how the lights are adjusted from the factory they overlap just a little. The fog lights cut out just above where the low beams come in.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

Hope this helps.
The oem fog lights are adjustable.

I stand corrected.
Damn, two 'I stand corrected' responses in the same thread. Must be a new record. :eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses! The reason I am asking is I wanted to find out if they were actually useful enough to go through the switch rewiring process. If they are mainly for show then I won't bother..

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Thanks for the responses! The reason I am asking is I wanted to find out if they were actually useful enough to go through the switch rewiring process. If they are mainly for show then I won't bother..
It's easy to switch out the blinker stalk to one that has fogs. The fogs are easy to install as well as the wiring is already there. Simple add on that doesn't take too long to do.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Beaver! I do already have the lights and the requisite turn signal stalk installed. I'm wondering if it's worth doing the rewire so they are independent of the rest of the lights. If they really aren't designed to aid in much in visibility, then I am not going to mess with it. If, on the other hand, they are designed to really throw some extra light out there, then I may need to do some aiming work to get them right. All I was looking for in the original post was a pic or two of the fog lights by themselves taken from the drivers seat so I could get an idea if mine are adjusted correctly.
Anyone have a night pic from the cockpit??

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
i have mine wired to the ignition, i swapped in LEDs and use them more of a daytime running light than a fog light. before my HID retrofit, i used to use the fogs to supplement the high beams and stock offroad lights, now they are much less effective so i repurposed them to DRL duty.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
As I said earlier, they stop just above where the low beams begin. I'd get a shot for you but I broke one of my fog lights the other weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
6 feet in front sounds about right, fog lights are intend to illuminate the area below the headlights directly in front of the vehicle. I had one burn out last week and drove without them on for a night (I think it looks silly with just one on) till I could put in new bulbs the next day. I was surprised how much less light there was without them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts