Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This happened to me the other day and I'm wondering if it's happened to anyone here.

I started my X and it started normally. Since it was dusk, I turned on my headlights. I heard a faint beep and then looked down and noticed the odometer display was showing all o's. I know that sounds weird and you are probably thinking, huh? He's talking gibberish.

Let me try to describe it a little better. As you know, the odometer display has a top and a bottom display. I'm talking about the top part where it shows the total number of miles driven on the car. The top part was showing all o's. By this I mean that if you picture a digital number 8, the bottom half of the 8 was showing in each of the 6 positions on the odometer display. I wish I had gotten a picture of it, because it was weird, but it only lasted a few seconds and then everything went back to normal. It's been a few days and it hasn't happened again.

Has this happened to anyone else? Do you know what causes it? Should I be worried?

·
TNX Veteran
541 Posts
Whoa... That IS weird... Did it look like this?

Haha. Only thing I could think of... Mine ONLY does this when I adjust the dash backlight settings.

As a matter of fact, I was only able to get this photo after adjusting them with the headlights on and key in ignition.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes! It looked exactly like that!

How do you adjust the dash backlight? I'd like to see if I can reproduce the problem.

·
TNX Veteran
541 Posts
That little stick lookin thing protruding from your dash glass... under your speedometer.

Yep... That one... Just spin it. Haha. With the key in and lights on of course.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, it is so cool to learn something new about a car I have had for nearly 15 years! (and plan to keep forever)

I played around with the dash light brightness/odometer reset knob and sure enough, turning the knob with the key in the ignition and the headlights on is exactly how you make the o's show up. With a little experimentation, I also realized that the number of o's displayed corresponds to the brightness of the of the dash lights. Turning the knob clockwise increases the brightness and adds o's to the display. When you get to 6 o's the car beeps and that's the brightest setting. Turning the knob counter-clockwise reduces the brightness and subtracts o's from the display. At the brightness setting right before the dash goes completely dark 1 o is displayed and the car beeps.

Pretty cool. Thanks to Adam for the tip.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Its probably a non issue, but you may wish to stop by an auto store and have both your battery and alternator tested.

If you choose to do this, please reply back with your results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts