Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. This isn't a complaint about gas mileage. I bought a used 2012 S a few months ago, and have been through several tanks of gas now. I'm getting about 16.5 mpg in pretty bad stop and go city driving, and a little shy of 21 mpg going around 75 on the highway. That's pretty solid, and probably because the truck is still bone stock and a manual transmission. The weird thing is, my gauge seems to go down faster than it should be. At around the halfway mark, I can fill the tank with 8 gallons. When the light comes on, I can fill it with about 17 gallons. My manual says I've got a 21.5 gallon tank. Are there 4 gallons below the Empty line? Is this weird, or normal? I'll concede that it's not the worst problem to have, but I just want to make sure it's not a sign of anything that might go wrong.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
My low fuel light goes on when I actually have 1/4 of a tank left. If it comes on and I fill up right away I'll put 60 L into a 80 L tank.
The low fuel light does go on much earlier than in previous vehicles I"ve owned but it sounds like yours is doing the same thing my 2011 has been doing since day one.

·
Registered
676 Posts
When the light comes on, I can fill it with about 17 gallons. My manual says I've got a 21.5 gallon tank. Are there 4 gallons below the Empty line? Is this weird, or normal? I'll concede that it's not the worst problem to have, but I just want to make sure it's not a sign of anything that might go wrong.
My 2011 does that, its a 4 gallon reserve capacity.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The little yellow warning light on my fuel gauge goes on at right around 3 gallons left in the tank.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
204 Posts
Fuel gauges are relatively crude when it comes to measuring exact quantities. This is completely normal especially if you look at the design of the fuel pump and fsu in the gas tank. A quick google seach will confirm this. I just put in a tuner. Now I can actually see how many gallons im using.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Mine comes on when the gauge is at 1/3 of 1/4 of a tank. Or at 1/12 if that's the way you roll. A fill up at that point is 17.2 gallons. Seems like your experience is pretty typical.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My light comes on @340 miles...like clockwork. Open wallet, free up 3 twenty's and a five.
Rinse, repeat. It's all good!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Here's a late addition to the thread - I also have noticed this in my 2012.

Fuel light comes on, I drive for an additional 20 miles despite the "miles until empty" indicator showing blanks. I'm certain that I'll run out right on the highway, stranded and pissed. Yet, when I get to a gas station, at most I've put in 19 gallons, and usually it's somewhere between 17 and 18.

Glad I found this thread, seems like a common experience.

So the question I have is: does anyone actually have their low fuel indicator light come on when their tank is genuinely near empty (like 1 gallon or less left)?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I think the gas tank spec is 21 and 1/8 gallons. Assuming you can't suck up that last gallon reliably, I would want my light to go on some distance before that. 3 or 4 gallons sounds about right.

If the light didn't come on until you were completely empty there would be no point - you would already know your out :(

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Here's a late addition to the thread
Late?
She's so late her offspring is walking.

Most I've risked going after light was 45 miles. Put 18.9 gallons in at that time.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I wish I got 340 to a tank. Must be nice.
I used to get that driving on the hwy with few mods, now im lucky to get 270-280.

Most if not all the cars Ive owned have had odd gas gauges. My 370z has a 20 something gal tank and you can go 200 miles in the first quarter then it drops like a rock.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts