Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my 2005 X decided to take a nap on the highway. No weird noises or anything, but all of a sudden the accelerator stopped working. Seemed similar to the ECM relay problem, where my whole car turned off while driving. Got that fixed though a couple years ago. Last night, car was still on, engine revving, but no go. Made it to the side of the highway, put it in park, reverse, neutral, drive, 3, 2 and 1, couldn't really hear the shifting. It would only go about 2 mph while revving really high, but I only did that for about 30 seconds. Smelled something like a burning clutch, but it's an auto (110,500 miles). A flywheel maybe? I did the radiator bypass a couple weeks ago, I don't think that would have anything to do with it but...I'll probably find out tomorrow when the shop looks at it...I thought I'd tap into the infinite wisdom here too.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
If you are revving high but no movement then it is the transmission. Check fluid. Has to be running on level ground.

Limp mode will usually limit RPMS to 3000 or less and usually won't go past 2nd gear.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yeah limp mode won't make it stop going anywhere altogether, sounds like something up with the transmission, if not the fluid (likely suspect) I would say something to do with the electrical system

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was a crack in the trans hose. New hose and a few quarts of new ATF and everything seems better now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Making a follow up to this thing here...it's been 2 weeks since I had a new hose and ATF, but the shifting has been weird. I know it takes a while for the computer to re-learn driving habits and stuff, but I figured it wouldn't take this long. It seems to hang in a lower gear around 3000 RPM before shifting, sometimes after a couple seconds, sometimes after 30-45 seconds (seems like a long time to me). This is usually just normal street driving 40-50 mph, or when making a turn through an intersection from a stop. If it's revving 3k and I let off the gas a bit, then press it gently again, it revs up back to 3k fast then shifts, sometimes a hard shift. The hard shift has only happened twice, and the high revving in low gears before shifting I would say happens about 80% of the time. It has been very cold since I got the repair here in SLC...like single digits-teens, so I'm sure that doesn't help either. I doubt it was anything the shop did on the repair. Should I just wait for warmer weather, more time for the re-learn, or expect something worse?

·
on line
2,069 Posts
Check the fluid level (while running on a level surface), this again sounds like low fluid.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 9 of 9 Posts