Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello hello.
Long story short last week i installed a minor lift and new wheels. I went get it aligned with the also new cam bolts from PRG. All was well for 2 days, wheel was perfectly straight. The next day i noticed the steering wheel is now 5-8 degrees to the right as the truck goes straight. The more i drive it the more it seems to go right. My initial thought was maybe the tires were worn weird since i drove for 2 days on terrible toe, and now the tires are wearing back even throwing the wheel off.... its a long shot but ive never seen this before. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I doubt that is due to the tires, sounds to me like something is loose and is moving out of alignment.

I'd either take it back to whomever did the alignment and have them check their work, or take it somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Hello hello.
Long story short last week i installed a minor lift and new wheels. I went get it aligned with the also new cam bolts from PRG. All was well for 2 days, wheel was perfectly straight. The next day i noticed the steering wheel is now 5-8 degrees to the right as the truck goes straight. The more i drive it the more it seems to go right. My initial thought was maybe the tires were worn weird since i drove for 2 days on terrible toe, and now the tires are wearing back even throwing the wheel off.... its a long shot but ive never seen this before. Thoughts?
I've been fighting almost the same problem for almost a year now without a solve. In your case though first check the cam bolts, I had a shop leave those loose one time and they moved around.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah im looking for a different shop locally this time around. Just another thing to the never ending list to get done.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my Chevy C3500 truck some years ago. I had taken it in for an alignment after I changed the bushings. After several days, the steering wheel was no longer centered. I opened the hood and had a look around and spotted a shiny ractchet and socket stuck on one of the adjusting bolts. The service manager at the dealership that did the aligment looked and said very sternly "we'll take care of it" and went looking for the mechanic listed on the receipt. I guess he at least got a slap on the wrist.

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same issue. I have replaced every single component in the front suspension except my rack and Pinion, I located the problem and learned that the bushings on the rack and Pinion when they go bad it moves to the left and to the right causing this issue if somebody can find these bushings please post a link as I cannot find these parts for the rack and Pinion anywhere I currently run a 2006 off-road.

·
NewX’er 4life
2,441 Posts
I have the same issue. I have replaced every single component in the front suspension except my rack and Pinion, I located the problem and learned that the bushings on the rack and Pinion when they go bad it moves to the left and to the right causing this issue if somebody can find these bushings please post a link as I cannot find these parts for the rack and Pinion anywhere I currently run a 2006 off-road.
SuperPro bushings for a frontier will work. Offroad Gorilla stocks the SuperPros: Steering Rack & Pinion Bushing Kit, SuperPro Nissan Frontier & Xterra 05-14, SPF3028K ? OffroadGorilla.com

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Cam bolt loose and walked. Not a toe issue, even though the toe is now out. Go back to the alignment shop. Should be a quick spin on the alignment rack, re-adjust and re-tighten everything. A sorry and be on your way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts