Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, felt it was finally time to make a build thread to track my progress with my 07 Xterra as I have owned her for almost 4 months now and have done a decent amount of maintenance and upgrades to her since acquisition.

Some of this info will carry over from my Welcome Thread that I started back in November 2013 upon joining the site. SUV is a 6 speed manual, 4x4, Off Road package, and currently has 75,xxx miles on the clock. These seem somewhat rare from what I have gathered, as most of what I could find were either S/SE models and automatic. I purchased this car off of eBay from a Florida auction group and am very happy with my purchase!

Little background on me, I have quite the passion for Nissans and have become rather mechanically inclined since my teenage years. I have owned numerous turbo cars and two 95 Pathfinders up until this point. I have a fully built 2002 Lexus IS300 that is my garage queen, and I intend on daily driving this Xterra as well as modifying it when I can to make suitable improvements for off roading while still keeping it very streetable.

Pics from the auction listing:

Here's how she sits today:

Pics coming later this afternoon after the Airflo Snorkel is completed.

Modifications:

The first few things I did were focused on the interior of the X. Although it was pretty damn clean when it arrived, it did not have the factory floormats or a steering wheel cover. I did not want to allow the carpet to get dirty or the wheel to fade at all so I went ahead and spent the money on the Weathertech Digital Fit floor liners in black for both the front and rear and a wheel cover that matched the interior well. Fitment is great on the floormats. I love these and am unsure on where people are complaining that the rears do not fit properly. I also intend on adding a full set of aftermarket gauges a few months down the road, so I ordered the available gauge pods from Lotek. Fitment is not 100% but I am satisfied. Intend on running a set of Prosport wideband 02, oil pressure, coolant temp, and fuel pressure gauges just to fully monitor the engine and get a tune dialed in later on.

Weathertech Floor Liners

Steering wheel cover/Lotek Dual A Pillar gauge pod

Nismo Off-Road Vinyl (Adds +25hp):

Unfortunately, within a few hundred miles of driving the X, I started to notice that the stock clutch was slipping slightly under full throttle. This was rather disappointing for me as with only 74k on the odometer I would have expected it to have a lot of life left. Fast forward a few weeks and on the morning of 2/3/14, the disc burnt up entirely. I had her towed home and began researching what to upgrade to as well as what could have been the cause for the failure at such low mileage. Although the X is clean inside and out, I obviously do not know the previous owner's driving habits down in FL and how the stock clutch was treated. Learning of the poor design of the dual mass flywheel may have also had something to do with it failing, but more than likely it was driver error.

Pictures of the disc upon removal from the X (As you can see, there is ZERO material remaining on either side of the disc-crazy!):

Went with the JWT clutch kit/JWTflywheel combo and absolutely love it! (Put about 1000 miles on it thus far):

Much more to come as I am still adding pics/updating info! Thanks for viewing!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Welcome to the never ending adiction of Xterra modding . Stick is harder to find then the autos let alone 4x4's in FL . You will be spending alot more modding on trust me lol ;)

I see you have a 200sx ser also in your stable . I had a 96 too sr20ve swapped untill i boosted and cracked the ring landing . Also had (5) 91 ser's too with my last one being boosted and built up to the moon ! . Where you on the sr20 forums ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the never ending adiction of Xterra modding . Stick is harder to find then the autos let alone 4x4's in FL . You will be spending alot more modding on trust me lol ;)

I see you have a 200sx ser also in your stable . I had a 96 too sr20ve swapped untill i boosted and cracked the ring landing . Also had (5) 91 ser's too with my last one being boosted and built up to the moon ! . Where you on the sr20 forums ?
Hey Rooney...trust me I am well aware about the mod bug, it bites hard. I've already spent a couple thousand on her and see no end in sight lol. I am hoping to get most of the expensive stuff out of the way now so that I can enjoy wheeling it this Summer and Fall. Trying to leave the cars alone as best I can but that has still proven to be a challenge in itself. I really am more interested in building up the X though and enjoying it for all that it is already capable of. I suppose it's a sign of maturity. Cars just get you into trouble and a 4x4 is far more versatile.

I am on The Dash as v1rg1n1azf1nest and have been around for about 7 years or so now in that community. Been through a dozen or so b series cars and finally have the one that will never leave me. I have probably talked with you or bought/sold you something on that forum in the past. What is your username? I can PM you pics of my sr20 cars if you'd like to share yours as well. Let me know.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Ah ok thats your screen name mine is "tsuruser". Ill shoot ya a pm

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the 4x4 6 speed club, it's actually surprising how many there are on the forum. Are you planning on making performance mods too the truck along with off road stuff, or are you just getting those gauges for fun?
Thanks...yea I was surprised at how many I have seen as well since joining. Seems that most Xterra's I find or run into are all auto or 2wd. As for performance mods, I've already started lol. The Volant CAI and XTP Intake Manifold Spacer are already installed, and the Airflo Snorkel is going on later today.

I plan on doing the exhaust next since mine has a slight leak anyways and has some surface rust. Most likely going to run the DT long tube headers with the cat-less b pipes and a 2.25 or 2.5" mandrel bent piping setup. Still not sure on muffler. Probably have an exhaust shop fab everything up custom once the headers are on. I want it quiet until I get on it, not attracting much attention. Eventually I'd like to drop in cams (once the JWT are released) and get a full dyno tune session in, but that will be further on down the road after she's lifted and such. The gauges will function and serve a beneficial purpose so that I can fully monitor what is going on with the motor. A wideband is a must.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts