Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Obnoxious {{Squeak}} in Front Suspension

45K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  CogX 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I recently developed a very annoying squeak in my front suspension, that seems to be coming from the driver side, it only happens when the suspension is being compressed (bumps, potholes, uneven terrain, if I brake hard enough). I can duplicate the sound by pushing on the front end, but can't for the life of me figure out where it's coming from.

This noise didn't start until after we were wheeling a couple weeks ago, and went thru a fair amount of mud and water, as well as coming down pretty hard on the front driver side suspension at one point.

I washed all the mud off of the front suspension components shortly after the noise started, and that seemed to take care of the noise, but now it's back, and more annoying than ever. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#21 ·
Well, I pinpointed the noise to be either the sway bar linkage or the lower bushing on my driver side bilstein, so I took some water and soaked the linkage, but the noise was still there, after soaking the bushing the noise went away, add to that the bushing looks rough, so I think I found the issue.

#23 · (Edited)
Yeah, thanks for your posts and suggestion. I picked up some heavy duty silicon spray a bit ago and soaked the bushing as a temp fix, it seems to be working so far. I would replace the bushing, but I think I'm just going to snag a few overtimes at work so I can expedite my 5100's/lift.

Soooo... Anyone know the best price on front 5100's?

#25 ·
I thought I was the only one! Thanks to the original poster for the video, mine started doing the exact same thing over a year ago. It was in for service at the dealership and they looked at it and ended up power washing the under carriage and it went away. Since then I've been spraying down every bushing I can see with silicone lubricant and it'll go away sometimes. So I'm thinking it's developed in a different one now too. I have also noticed that it goes away on it's own when the temperatures outside get cold.

#26 ·
I have the same problem and it is the bottom rubbers on both of my shock mounts. I've ordered a set on line and got them today. I'm going to get them put in as I'm not sure I am able to do it myself. It was an excuse to get new shocks all around but if this works I'll wait till the spring to do them. What's the skinny on good new shocks?
Thanks M.Raven

#28 ·
I have had a simalar Squeak, almost sounds like a brake squealer. The plastic hose bit at the bottom of the front coil had slipped out of place and the coil spring was rubbing steel on steel on its bottom perch. I forced some grease in between and it seemed to go away but only temporarily. and after about a month the sound is back

#29 ·
Hello all,

I recently developed a very annoying squeak in my front suspension, that seems to be coming from the driver side, it only happens when the suspension is being compressed (bumps, potholes, uneven terrain, if I brake hard enough). I can duplicate the sound by pushing on the front end, but can't for the life of me figure out where it's coming from.

This noise didn't start until after we were wheeling a couple weeks ago, and went thru a fair amount of mud and water, as well as coming down pretty hard on the front driver side suspension at one point.

I washed all the mud off of the front suspension components shortly after the noise started, and that seemed to take care of the noise, but now it's back, and more annoying than ever. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Did you ever figure out what this was?

#36 ·
Good Day all, at least for me the squeak was coming from dirty/faulty heim joints in the aftermarket upper control arms that the previous owner had installed. Once I replaced the UCAs (Freedom Offroad) the squeak went away.

#37 ·
My squeaks ended up being upper control arm bushings (big time!) And sway bar bushings. Hit the sway bar bushings with some silicone plumbers grease while I had it apart and hit the upper control arm bushings with some silicone spray for a temp fix and ordering some new ones.... Or a whole upper control arm with ball joint. Not sure if I can find a quality replacement assembly yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.