Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recently developed a very annoying squeak in my front suspension, that seems to be coming from the driver side, it only happens when the suspension is being compressed (bumps, potholes, uneven terrain, if I brake hard enough). I can duplicate the sound by pushing on the front end, but can't for the life of me figure out where it's coming from.

This noise didn't start until after we were wheeling a couple weeks ago, and went thru a fair amount of mud and water, as well as coming down pretty hard on the front driver side suspension at one point.

I washed all the mud off of the front suspension components shortly after the noise started, and that seemed to take care of the noise, but now it's back, and more annoying than ever. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I've had three different squeaks in the front end I've fixed over the last few months. Lower Com10t bearings in my radflos, worn sway bar bushings, and worn front body mounts. The bearings and sway bar bushings stopped some but the body mount bushings finally fixed it completely.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I've had three different squeaks in the front end I've fixed over the last few months. Lower Com10t bearings in my radflos, worn sway bar bushings, and worn front body mounts. The bearings and sway bar bushings stopped some but the body mount bushings finally fixed it completely.
Got a part number on the body mount bushings? Id put my money on it being them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sprayed the driver side front fender well, and suspension components at the car wash, noise is gone. I did record a video with sound if I can get it to upload.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Frame.

I'd suggest laying underneath and have a second person bounce it while trying to locate the noise though.
I'm able to lay under the front and push up on the bumper enough to make it squeak, just having a hard time pinpointing it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It sure sounds like rubber/plastic squeak to me in the video and not just straight metal to metal contact.
Don

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It sure sounds like rubber/plastic squeak to me in the video and not just straight metal to metal contact.
Don
Yeah I agree, and the fact that water will temporarily silence it, makes me believe it's a bushing or something. Now to figure out which one.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Dealing with a squeak / clank from the front drivers side too.

Very similar situation. Went through lots of water/dirt and came down hard on the front. Really want to locate it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Dealing with a squeak / clank from the front drivers side too.

Very similar situation. Went through lots of water/dirt and came down hard on the front. Really want to locate it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you have a clunk, check the top of your shock mount, had one go on me after an altercation with a pothole at highway speeds

·
Registered
108 Posts
yup, top of the shock was poking out the top...missed it the first time because i was inspecting it while on a lift, I replaced the Lower ball joints, which needed to be done,but not the cause of the clunk. anywho, look at those 3 bolts while the truck is on the ground and the shock is under pressure.

·
on line
788 Posts
I found a similar squeak inside the front fender liner. Pull the screws that hold the fender liner to the front bumper. Inside, you'll find two bolts a few inches directly above the fog light housing. In the video, yours sounds more like suspension, but the fix above takes about 10 mins to try out.
Best of luck!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts