Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been interested in installing on board air (OBA) for sometime now but have been struggling to figure out where to permanently mount and which compressor to get. I think I'm leaning toward a Viair 400C or 400H.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has managed to install one of these under the hood and if so, how? Pics would be wonderful.

I've also started to consider mounting it underneath the body somewhere. I've seen people install them and air tanks where the spare tire is, but since I still have the spare there that's not an option for me. I assume if I went this route (no tank, just compressor) that I'd want some sort of armor protecting it, but other than that I was wondering if water will be a big problem there. I'm in Virginia and water crossings up to 36" deep seem to be somewhat common!

I've already seen the following options and none were quite ideal. I'd like to keep things quiet in the vehicle while the compressor is on (assuming that means keeping the compressor outside) and not permanently take any interior room with a compressor.

I know this is a lot to ask, but people here are pretty creative and I figured someone may have found a creative solution to this that I haven't been able to find on my own.

Thanks in advance!

Not an option, I have amp/sub stopping me
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40

Possibility, but was hoping to just keep it outside the cab... easier install!
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61824&highlight=board+air+viair

I know I'm also missing the one where an MV50/MF-1050 was installed in the winch spot behind a shrock bumper, but I don't have that bumper...

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
I don't suggest mounting your OBA tank externally, because you live in VA. The weather in the Mid Atlantic region and east coast is too rough on metal and electronics, and the fittings for an air system are extremely susceptible to damage from ice, snow, salt and water.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Here's the MV50 mounted with a stock bumper. I'm not running a tank.

Took steel flat stock and bent it and then drilled holes to mount.

Here's the outlet circled in red by the license plate. I ran a 5' hose from the compressor and drilled a hole in the lower bumper and license plate holder to hold the outlet.

·
on line
2,228 Posts
ARB is advertised as having a removable filter that can be relocated to your liking.
They also test the compressors in chassis mounting locations. Run them submerged (with the inlet relocated of course). Put them in a wheel well so they are blasted by debris kicked up from the tire.

I plan on getting the mid sized ARB soon, still looking for mounting locations. In the back by the quarter panel steps is looking good to me. I will play around once I get the compressor in hand. I am sure I will find a place for it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I was not planning on getting an air tank, but thanks for the heads up about salt in VA. That's a good point, although I really wanted to mount the compressor on the outside of the vehicle as well. I may just have to risk it, and not be too upset if something in the setup needs replaced in a few years. But at least it wouldn't be part of an air tank setup held under pressure!

Also, had not seen the pump mounted in front of the radiator like that with the stock bumper. For some reason I thought the forum I saw about it had it mounted on a Shrock... Anyways, that's a great idea. I didn't realize there was room there to do that. This may be the direction I go!

Regarding the midsize ARB pump, I assume you're referring to the CKMA12? Any reason why you would choose that over the Viair 400C? Just curious, I'm assuming both are good, and appear to have similar prices and specs, just wondering if there's something I missed.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Eh, I've got my tank under the bed of the truck. If the damn thing explodes or a fitting blows out due to corrosion causing weakness I'd sure as hell rather not have it happen in the cab. Or plumb some aluminum tanks together with stainless fittings and not worry about the weather. I might go this route when I re-do my setup.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Thanks NYX. That is perfect. I never seem to get anything useful from the search.
No problem man. I don't even use the "master search" on here, the only time I use search on this sight is when I'm trying to find something within a thread I already have open. I use google and just add "thenewx" after my key words. For this I just typed OBA thenewx into google search and a plethora popped up!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
There is a great how to from McGuyverMedic about his OBA install, it is an interior install but it is stealth (behind the rear left right panel), let me see if I am able to locate it for you unless someone has it handy - it's kinda of a pain to search and share in my phone.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
62 Posts
yeah, I am all about stealth. I want to keep my interior as close to stock as possible. I like the install on the outside. I am going to purchase front and rear bumper (with a tire hauler) when I get my tax return. I have seen a couple tanks get mounted where the spare was.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts