Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 0430 code and it's hindering my gas mileage. I'm trying to make a road trip happen and it would definitely benefit to spend 15-30 bucks on it now so I can have normal gas mileage for the trip until I can buy a new cat. Would this work the way I hope?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
2,044 Posts
how many miles on your truck? do you click your gas cap 5 times at least? do you have a rotten egg smell from exhaust?
02 sensors have to be checked to see if they are working...... you might have a leak somewhere......

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
120k, never, idk. Doesn't a bad o2 throw a different code? Let me simplify, will getting rid of the code restore gas mileage? Anyone with experience with these o2 extender things?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
2,044 Posts
you should always click your gas cap at least 5 times.... this can also cause that code
the o2 sensors don't always throw a code.... mine did not throw a code, just looked at the diagnostic reading for them.... they did not have a short pattern up and down like a sewing maching stich... they where spaced out... I replaced them with oem front o2 sensors.
with that code I also went to muffler shop to have them inspect the flow out of exhaust just to make sure it was not a cat replacement issue.

cheap gas can also throw that code..

I would start with looking for a leak.... then do the battery disconnect and also put good gas and click your gas cap 5 times when closing.

but the most efficient thing is to have an auto electric place plug the computer and read the activity for the 02 sensors..... before buying anything

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Just having the code shouldn't affect mileage, the cause of the code, which could be a partially plugged cat that is restricting flow, may be affecting mileage. I don't think clearing the code without fixing the problem will get you far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts