Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

NWXC: Fortune Creek Trail 10/12/13 Now with pictures!

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Red2Thundercat 
#1 · (Edited)
At almost 7 miles long the Fortune Creek Trail makes for a great day of wheeling. Although not technically difficult this trail abounds with beautiful scenery. The best spot on the trail is at Gallagher Head Lake. Along the route you will find remnants of a by-gone era, mining machinery lays rusting away in some of the fields and if you keep a watchful eye you might even find a few mine entrances along the way.(http://www.nwjeepn.com/FortuneCreek.htm)

Update with pictures!

Let me start by saying that we did not make it to the final destination of Gallagher Head Lake at the end of the trail, we turned back at about the 4.25 mile mark due to slick, slushy snow that had are back ends trying to slide off the trail.

The turn out. Left to right. Myself, Haynie17, Wendy/Wendys mechanic, CaveCricket (some screen names are TNX, others are NWXC)

The snow that turned us back. It doesn't look like much and it really wasn't, it was just very slick and we were sliding toward the right which is downhill, into the trees, and off the trail.

Entire album

I will add more pictures once they become available and I have permission from the people who took them.

See less See more
#8 ·
The snow appears to be holding off for now, but the weather reports did call for more to come. Guess Wednesday or Thursday will be the deciding day on if this is still a go.

For permits, I have no clue if or what is needed since the ranger stations are closed due to the government shutdown. If you have a discover pass or a NW forrest pass just bring it along to be safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.