Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
on line
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I blew a front shock this sunday and was just forced into upgrading
(lol)...I ordered the tc uca's and the radflow coilovers for the front end from PRG and it just happened to occur while my alcan springs were already inbound...when I ordered the springs I asked them to arch the springs to get between 2.5 - 3" of lift and they made it so i didn't need to run the two degree shims that were previously being used with the AC aal to stop vibration.

here is the finshed product it settled at 2 and 3/4 in the rear and 2.5 was dialed in at the front

PRG said you can get 20% more droop in your front wheels...i don't think this was max but it's alot better than what the ACcoils/bil factory front shocks gave me.

the rear flex was limited by the bil's in the back that came with the other lift..i'm going to get some 5125 bil's then move some wires and other lines
to get more travel

here is a shot of the alcan pack i didn't get the double wraped eyes in the pic but it's got them...good stuff

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Awesome, lookin good and you now have the best performing set-up out there on a 2nd gen... aside from Ponyboy, of course, hehe!

·
on line
2,938 Posts
o5xOR

No issues running 3.5" lift up front with no diff drop kit?

·
on line
52 Posts
Looks great 2NDX - thanks for the pics. How much for the Alcans (If I may)?
Also, how do they make the leaf packs such that you don't need correction shims?

·
on line
1,114 Posts
kokopop said:
o5xOR

No issues running 3.5" lift up front with no diff drop kit?
None so far. I wheel it pretty hard off road, too. I don't shy away from much.

Still, you've got to pick your battles running an IFS without hubs. The only thing you gotta watch out for is getting the front end off the ground while heavy on the gas. The landing could hurt... :blackeye:

·
on line
2,938 Posts
05XOR said:
None so far. I wheel it pretty hard off road, too. I don't shy away from much.

Still, you've got to pick your battles running an IFS without hubs. The only thing you gotta watch out for is getting the front end off the ground while heavy on the gas. The landing could hurt... :blackeye:
Awesome. My OR rule with my X is easy on the gas and don't spin the wheels too much. When in doubt I push the clutch down.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Dag gone it! That dern hill got me. I got cocky and left the locker off thinking I could just walk up it. Denied! Well, at least I didn't shy away. I'll get it next time. :bounce:

We ALL managed to get over that NASTY hill at the end of the trail. All I could see were clouds. Somebody said the angle was over 40 degrees. Weee! I made sure I was locked for that one...

·
on line
315 Posts
Heh, I know how you feel, Steve. I tried that hill at Flagpole like 5 times. I am pissed that I never got it, but I really couldn't waste anymore time (we were already over 2 hrs late).

I'm going to try it again next time. I was spinning wheels like mad, I probably should try not to do that. I'm going to try a different line next time, although it still makes me nervous to be off camber that much.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
That was my first denial that I had not previously conquered...or conquered at a later outing. It kinda bugged me at the time but I got over it.

Denials keep you humble. You can't always be Buster Badass.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
armandov99 said:
Heh, I know how you feel, Steve. I tried that hill at Flagpole like 5 times. I am pissed that I never got it, but I really couldn't waste anymore time (we were already over 2 hrs late).

I'm going to try it again next time. I was spinning wheels like mad, I probably should try not to do that. I'm going to try a different line next time, although it still makes me nervous to be off camber that much.
You sure gave it a good run, Armando. I believe if you carried a wee tiny bit more momentum before the crest, you would have made it up. Once you get over that second hump at the mid way point, you pretty much have to nail it. You were a little too tentative at that point and I think that's what cost you that 'lil bit of momentum.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, I don't have any incline meters in the X so I have no idea. But the hill in the little playground is actually steeper than the hill at the end it just doesn't have the loose rocks at the top.

I think Darrin cleared out most of the rocks at the top of that last hill with his slider though. :)

That hill pictured above, Danielle tried three times to get up it and couldn't. I hopped behind the wheel and made it the first time. :)

As for spinning wheels. On a hill climb, the less you can spin the wheels the better. the easiest way to prevent the spin is to be as low as you can. 4Lo and 1st gear (even on an automatic).

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The one thing that is still denying me in the X is going UP the rock ledge on the powerline trail at Ligonier. Been up it fine in the Jeep, but the X just doesn't want to make it. Every time I get a mod that would make a difference I try it again.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
That ledge is pretty nasty. You pretty much need a Shrockworks front bumper for the approach angle. It may be that the X's IFS just doesn't give enough droop for the traction needed to get up it. I dunno...

We did pretty much everything else except for the rock garden. I might give that a shot next time...

:blackeye:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I was thinking about doing the rock garden, but I didn't want to spend any more time in one spot. I figure people were probably starting to get bored of standing around. :)

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Yeah, perhaps when we have 5 or fewer trucks.

Looks like we hijacked this post with our off road babble. Sorry!

Nice truck, dude!

·
on line
315 Posts
Muzikman said:
As for spinning wheels. On a hill climb, the less you can spin the wheels the better. the easiest way to prevent the spin is to be as low as you can. 4Lo and 1st gear (even on an automatic).
Yeah, it was a steep climb and you really can't get away from having to spin in certain spots. But I usually climb steep stuff in 4LO 1st and slow enough to crawl rather than slip. The thing about this hill was you need to go sideways a little (yeah, scary!) and you hit enough holes that you need to have LOTS of momentum, so you HAVE to get on the gas, there's no other way.

My problem was I kept getting stuck in this hole because my line was bad, and I didn't carry enough momentum to get through it (still having a sway bar probably doesn't help:)) so I would go nowhere.

Back on topic, that is a killer setup on the blue X. I dig it, a lot!

·
on line
2,248 Posts
2NDX said:
Well I blew a front shock this sunday and was just forced into upgrading
(lol)...I ordered the TOTAL CHOAS uca's and the radflow coilovers for the front end from PRG and it just happened to occur while my alcan springs were already inbound...when I ordered the springs I asked them to arch the springs to get between 2.5 - 3" of lift and they made it so i didn't need to run the two degree shims that were previously being used with the AC aal to stop vibration.

here is the finshed product it settled at 2 and 3/4 in the rear and 2.5 was dialed in at the front

PRG said you can get 20% more droop in your front wheels...i don't think this was max but it's alot better than what the ACcoils/bil factory front shocks gave me.

the rear flex was limited by the bil's in the back that came with the other lift..i'm going to get some 5125 bil's then move some wires and other lines
to get more travel

here is a shot of the alcan pack i didn't get the double wraped eyes in the pic but it's got them...good stuff
Nice... any level side profile shots? I'm curious to see how much lift you were able to get in the front.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts