Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for dramatic title but just wanted to get more interest
After endless reading of related posts and checking all vendor sites i came to conclusion there is no coil spring (except stock) that will work
with 5100 to provide decent ride onroad. My conclusion is based on what i read, not my own experience.
All main offroad suppliers like ARB, ADO, Ironman etc have their own versions of shocks that are mated to their own versions of springs and pricing is incredible
So i am not going to blow $$$$ on their "lift", obviously there is a good reason those companies avoid using somebody else shocks no matter how good they are
So perhaps reusing stock springs and adjusting spring perch on 5100 is the best way to get lift and decent ride? My goal is 1.5-2" lift in front.
With stock springs with 70K miles where should i put snap ring, 2nd or 3rd groove from the bottom? Anibody knows what the stock P4X spring height is?
Any other idea?

· Registered
'06 Off Road & '11 Pro-4X
275 Posts
5100 will work with lift springs, you just need to leave the snap ring in the bottom groove to maintain full range of shock travel. The higher you set the snap ring, the firmer the ride and it'll limit the amount of available shock travel. Also keep in mind that when you start approaching 2" of lift, coil buck contact becomes an issue with the factory upper control arms.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just compared old and new 5100 shocks, looks like there is about 2" difference in distance between spring perch and tip of the rod, 5100 being shorter. So if i used my old springs i should get 2" lift?

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the unknown factor is how much are my springs sagging before i assemble struts. Perhaps someone posted this number. Tried to find it but after an hour gave up. My springs are 13.75" long

· Registered
180 Posts
My experience using Bilstein 5100's on stock suspension was that 3 steps up was way too firm and caused metal on metal noise when the shock was fully extended. I took it all apart and placed the clip one step up instead of three and it has been fine ever since.
I wasn't looking for lift, but if I was I would just get a 1" spacer for the top of the assembly to gain 2" of lift and call it a day. Don't forget that this can be a slippery slope because a front end lift of 2" can throw your camber way off, requiring cam bolts, requiring you to cut out your lower control arm to remove the old seized bolts, alignment, etc.

· Registered
187 Posts
" Decent ride on road " is probably a subjective thing, but I went with OME medium duty springs with 5100's and the snap ring at bottom and I got exactly the advertised 1.75" of travel and a much improved overall ride on and off road!

· Registered
2006 Xterra S M6 and 2010 Xterra Off Road
476 Posts
Not sure if you're one asking on Xterra Crew or not. I am running 5100s on bottom snap ring groove with ADO HD front coils. Rides great and the down travel clunks...but only on left side. Still trying to sort that out. I am very happy with the ride of a lifted heavy rig.

I got the HD coils due to Shrock Bumper, Winch, skids. I'm heavy.

I consulted ADO before purchasing and they knew what I was doing. They said to be sure on lowest ring groove.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
" Decent ride on road " is probably a subjective thing, but I went with OME medium duty springs with 5100's and the snap ring at bottom and I got exactly the advertised 1.75" of travel and a much improved overall ride on and off road!
Agreed about "decent ride" but it is vary common term when there is nothing else to measure the quality of the ride and we always compare apples and oranges
And "improved overall ride on and off road" as compared with? Few others complained about your combo but there are variables like stock bumper vs shrock bumper, winch, armor etc
In fact there are so many variables that it is just impossible to come to solid conclusion. If we could only find out what "decent ride" is for all of us and translate it into parts needed to achieve it

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So my attempts to find out the stock length of front coil springs came to nothing, called local stealership this morning and they offered to bring new spring to parts dep and let me pay for it and after i measure spring they will charge me 20% restocking fee taking it back. Like $30 to measure aspring.

· Registered
2,062 Posts
I don't have any experience with the 5100's and I previously suggested Old Man Emu elsewhere for a suspension upgrade, but regarding your question about the free height of the springs, it looks like it's 14".

Here's how I found that. The search function on this site isn't great. When I want to find something I often use google and constrain it to this website, or whatever website I want to search. Searching the following on google:

site:thenewx.org stock coil spring inches

yields several threads, including this one (relevant info quoted below):

Hey I just noticed that the online service manual does give the answer to my original question:
a. RWD free spring length is 13.6"
b. 4WD free spring length is 14"
And indeed in the Factory Service Manual, in the 2009 version, it does show this info:

Font Parallel Rectangle Screenshot Number

· Registered
2013 Pro4X, 6MT
1,506 Posts
Timely thread ...

I put on 5100s all around using my OEM Pro4X springs with the perch set to the 2nd position for 1" lift on the front and a single AAL with stock leafs back in Sept of 2018. So more than 4 years ago. I've been super happy with the ride offroad; onroad it's a little rougher than stock but totally liveable for me. See the following post for my Original measurements and pictures.

I just went out to my garage and measured the drivers side and got drivers side front 35.0" and drivers side rear 37.0". When I put them on I was at 35.5" and 37.25". That is not bad at all for sag over 4 years. Plus, I just added a winch carrier, not bumper, and winch (synthetic rope) so I'd think that's where most of that front height loss came from. The rear as far as tires etc is exactly the same as when originally measured.

I was not really liking the rake anymore so I'm thinking of getting some ADO Medium springs and maybe the 1/2" spacer to lift the front up a little more. If I do I'll post what the measurements are.

· Registered
2006 Xterra S M6 and 2010 Xterra Off Road
476 Posts
I have a set of OEM springs from my 2010 OR out on the ground I can measure...but looks like someone found it in the FSM. I think in the Tacoma Titan Swap strut thread there's info on factory spring rates and length(possibly just spring lengths) early in that thread or in the spring/strut research thread linked from that large post.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't have any experience with the 5100's and I previously suggested Old Man Emu elsewhere for a suspension upgrade, but regarding your question about the free height of the springs, it looks like it's 14".

Here's how I found that. The search function on this site isn't great. When I want to find something I often use google and constrain it to this website, or whatever website I want to search. Searching the following on google:

site:thenewx.org stock coil spring inches

yields several threads, including this one (relevant info quoted below):

And indeed in the Factory Service Manual, in the 2009 version, it does show this info:

View attachment 149294
Thank you very much!! Now i know my springs settled mere .25" since new. So i will reuse stock springs with new Bils 5100.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Timely thread ...

I put on 5100s all around using my OEM Pro4X springs with the perch set to the 2nd position for 1" lift on the front and a single AAL with stock leafs back in Sept of 2018. So more than 4 years ago. I've been super happy with the ride offroad; onroad it's a little rougher than stock but totally liveable for me. See the following post for my Original measurements and pictures.

I just went out to my garage and measured the drivers side and got drivers side front 35.0" and drivers side rear 37.0". When I put them on I was at 35.5" and 37.25". That is not bad at all for sag over 4 years. Plus, I just added a winch carrier, not bumper, and winch (synthetic rope) so I'd think that's where most of that front height loss came from. The rear as far as tires etc is exactly the same as when originally measured.

I was not really liking the rake anymore so I'm thinking of getting some ADO Medium springs and maybe the 1/2" spacer to lift the front up a little more. If I do I'll post what the measurements are.
Thanks. What size tires and brand you are using? I got BFG TA KO LT285/75/R16 tires and my ride was 34.74" in front both sides

1 - 20 of 41 Posts