Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Not Mobil one

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  usmc xterra 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I have 7K miles on mine, 5K to half way test and on up to 25K or one year. have to notice 10 degree drop in op temp so far and that I don't be have to change the oil but once a year. I went Castrol in wife's car because I didn't see advantage for Amsoil in her car but I think they came out with a 25K oil for her now also. So that will be next. She goes climbing a lot and 3K miles blows by quick. MC

#5 ·
lostboy said:
Didn't mobile one have 3 or 4 of the 2nd highest right behind amsoil?
Just curious if I missed something or if only a few of those charts are the really important ones to look at.
That was a test to see who really looked, you win! LOL But Pennzoil whooped em in the cold start test. Hard to whoop Amsoil I bet they will get to working on that. What I need to do is figure out what of all this really matters. Do you know what I mean? I think I mean is,,,, at what point is the amount of protection useless?

I don't expect everyone to use Amsoil, I just posted so they can make a better choice in off the shelf synthetics that may be a better bargain depending on your use. But filters play a big part in the game. MC

#6 ·
usmc xterra said:
lostboy said:
Didn't mobile one have 3 or 4 of the 2nd highest right behind amsoil?
Just curious if I missed something or if only a few of those charts are the really important ones to look at.
That was a test to see who really looked, you win! LOL But Pennzoil whooped em in the cold start test. Hard to whoop Amsoil I bet they will get to working on that. What I need to do is figure out what of all this really matters. Do you know what I mean? I think I mean is,,,, at what point is the amount of protection useless?

I don't expect everyone to use Amsoil, I just posted so they can make a better choice in off the shelf synthetics that may be a better bargain depending on your use. But filters play a big part in the game. MC
I agree the more knowledge the better. I ended up choosing mobile for my first change at 1500. Still debating what to do for the 3500 change but to much info about or for our X's is never a bad thing.

#7 ·
This is alarming! I guess I will stick to what I have now.

http://www.xterrafirma.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4226
"Well...it seems that Castrol decided to sell Group 3 oil as Full Synthetic...so Mobil decided to see if that was fair, as Group 4 & 5 were really considered as Full Synthetics, as they had to be created chemically...

...whereas Group 3 were pretty much dino juice with extra cracking to refine it better, etc....

...so selling Group 3 was cheaper than selling Group 5...and Mobil1 was a Group 5, being threatened in the marketplace by a Group 3 Castrol labeled as if it were just as good.

The US Gov decided that "Synthetic" as regards to motor oil, has no legal meaning, and therefore...anyone could call pretty much any refined petroleum motor oil "100% Fully Synthetic Motor Oil", etc.

So - Mobil, and a bunch of other oil makers, like Penzoil, Quaker State, etc...dropped their Group 4 and 5 products from the shelves..and replaced them with/Introduced Group 3 motor oils...w/ changing the labels...so as to be cost competitive with each other.

The changes started a few years back...and have now been completed across the mass producer product lines.

There's almost no "real" synthetic oils left from the mass producers.

I think Redline is still a Group 5, and Amsoil is still a Group 4...not sure about Royal Purple...might be still a mix of products that are still Group 3 and 4, etc. "

sigh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.