Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing research in advance of buying an X and would appreciate some info. So far DH & I are buying a 2007, Off Road with a manual, preferring Knight Armour.

Q#1 - We will be towing a tent trailer, so what extra work/expenses are required to tow. Specifically, how much pre-wiring is done?

Q#2 - We will have a canoe on the roof. How well will the factory rack work? I need a good site for rack canoe accessories, most seem to focus on kayaks.

Q#3 - As we do serious off roading, this site has made me reconsider the factory step rails and get rock sliders instead. I take these works as steps as well?

This is a GREAT site!!!!!!

:wav:

·
TNX Administrator
20,252 Posts
:pirate: Ahoy, Matey! :newb: (n00b) Welcome! Yer on a site dedicated to Nissan's, "Next Generation Xterra." Step aboard, take in what you can, but promise to share what you learn! :3some:

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Welcome!!

1. I don't know how heavy your tent trailer is, but assuming its under 5k it's pretty much plug and play. I have no experience with brakes though.

2. If you value your canoe, don't use the factory crossbars. I prefer Yakima, as they use roundbars and their gunwale brackets can be tilted forward or back, to adjust for the curvature of the rails on your canoe. Check out yakima's site, it will walk you thru. I regularly have $2k or $3k worth of canoes on top of either of my vehicles and run Yakima on both. I got lucky, and found some Xtowers-Vehicle specific towers for 1st gen Xterras, no longer made, and not suggested for 2nd gen as newer models are 2.25" compared to 2". I mounted them up the other day and think they feel plenty strong. I've heard rumors of Xtowers and lowriders coming off 2nd gen X's and am lead to believe it was the old lowrider or doublecross. Anyway, those things are on their tight. Since the lakes are still frozen, I can't tell you how they work. I'm also working on tiedowns for the bow and stern, so that the lines never touch the hood paint or bumpers.

3. Get the sliders, and yes you can stand on them.

·
on line
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for the warm welcome and helpful responses.

Our trailer is around 2000#s, but sure nice to know with the X we can upgrade. The towing thread was very informative.

I think I found a Thule tower that will adjust to an X factory rail, and then we can keep and use the Thule arm, canoe rack and bike rack we already have.

I guess Nissan expects that many Off Road buyers will want rock sliders as step rails are one of the few options that differ between the OR and the SE.

The more I read about these trucks the more I want one. We are replacing a '90 Pathfinder with 400,000 kms, so its GOTTA be another Nissan!!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Backwoods said:
I guess Nissan expects that many Off Road buyers will want rock sliders as step rails are one of the few options that differ between the OR and the SE.
Are you saying that you can get sliders as an option?? Or do you mean that the step rails are optional on the 'OR'

OH... Welcom to the cool club!!

·
Super Moderator
2,600 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
Backwoods said:
Are you saying that you can get sliders as an option?? Or do you mean that the step rails are optional on the 'OR'

OH... Welcom to the cool club!!
I think they're saying that Nissan makes the step rails optional on the OR, since Nissan knows that many people who buy the OR are going to remove the step rails anyway.

Ahoy! Welcome to the club! :pirate:

·
on line
14 Posts
towing and sliders...

I just brough home our new '07 OR Xterra a couple of weeks ago. We ordered it with the towing option. We took our Coleman popup trailer out for a weekend camp-out the 2nd weekend we had the X.

The Xterra towed the trailer perfectly. We crossed the cascade range (3,500') easily on all inclines. Our trailer doesn't have brakes, but the Xterra handled the downhill runs without effort.

This was great news for us as we use our pop-up trailer a lot. The real test will be this summer when we haul the popup trailer up to East lake (5,000' +). That road kills a lot of v-6 engines towing trailers (engine temp goes up, sluggish in the altitude, etc.). I'm confident that the Xterra will do well there also.

For all things Pop-up related (mods, fixes, questions, etc.) go to:
www.popupexplorer.com (see the forum area)

Part II: Sliders. Before I took delivery of our Xterra, I ordered Sliders from Jim at Shrockworks. They are due in a couple of weeks. I didn't even mess with the step rails.

Good luck!

Scott

·
on line
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2nd thanx for responses :bounce: :bounce:

ScottT - I have been a member or popupexplorer for about 3 years under same member name. I am pleased to say I am finding this site as helpful.

We pull a 1971 Starcraft Starmaster 6. The old steel frame and plywood walls allow have allowed us to drag the trailer up 4x4 roads, granted we "flipped" for more clearance and did have to replace an axle once.

What model Coleman do you pull?? Auto or Manual?? We live in the BC interior and face a steep Mt. pass for any trip, and are looking to order an X with a manual.

We are replacing a 1990 Pathfinder with 400,000 ks. We towed with it for the last 6 years and the last clutch went it at 120,000 ks. No surprise that we are back at the Nissan dealership.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts