Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, i know that the OR models come with an electric locker, and ARB makes air lockers. So my question is... what is the difference (other than the obvious)? Is one better than the other?

I know there is no option yet for us but just in case there happen to be a couple of options, which should I pick?

·
on line
576 Posts
A locker is a locker (if its a carrier replacement). An electric locker locks the diff via electric current and magent. Air lockers lock the diff via air. The air locker is charged by the compressor, where the electric locker is instant. The e/locker stays locked, where as the air locker may need to be charged again (though usually it will last as long as you need it on the first charge). Air lockers are nice, because now you have onboard air. It becomes user preference. But both lockers replace the carrier and LOCK the diff.

E/locker: Flip one switch....locked.

Air Locker: Flip compressor on (charges locker), flip second switch.....locked.

Detroit: Automatic Locker (replaces the carrier and uses a clutch system)

EZ Locker: Does not replace the carrier, but replaces the spider gears. (cheapest route) Still gets the job done and locks like a detroit.

Spool: ALWAYS locked and NO differencial in wheel speed.

NOTE: If the E/locker's solenoid is outside the housing (like in Detroit's E/locker), its subject to the elements and rocks (not recommended).

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Nice explanation for sure.
Let me add, what do the big boys run?
Air lockers are more reliable. And they tend not to short out.
If you have on board air, it's just a matter of flipping the switch, you only need air to charge your tank, one tank will switch it on and off maybe 100 times with a full tank. And, you can use your spare tire as a tank. A locker is not used enough in a "Grocery Getter" application for the factory to warrant an air locker and all the mess that comes with it. They go electric because it's there. Anything (Such as big trucks) that has air, uses air to lock. I got over a million miles on an air locker on my KW, Replaced it at rebuild for S&G's I'm talking something that changes 1000's of times a day. Electric would burn out in a week at that pace.

MC

·
on line
576 Posts
Yes, if you want to go with a selectable locker, ARB and Ox are the most reliable. I forgot to mention you can lock the diff via cable & lever (Ox). E/lockers have not been around long enough to prove them selves. And like I said before, the Detroit E/locker is horrible. The solenoid is on the bottom of the diff subject to getting broken off.

EDIT to add: One plus to aftermarket E/lockers is that most of them are an LSD when not locked.

·
on line
295 Posts
Very nice guys. + OR E-Locker is no added expense. So far it's been great for me.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
The one thing I like about the Stocker Locker is the ligh ton the dash. It flashes when it is no engaged. As the light is trigered by a seperate soleniod to tells the computer module that it is engaged.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts