Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me begin by saying I'm smart enough, but uneducated on most things car related. :tard:

That being said, if any of the mechanic types could help me here. My question is if I'm at 160k miles and all I've really had to do is my oil, brake, fluid, belt upkeep but haven't had to replace anything else; what all else do I need to replace if money weren't relevant whatsoever? I just recently learned about tire rods... lol. If I want my X to last forever, what ALL should I replace? Leave nothing out!

On a side note I am aware suspension is among the things I need replacing and with the stunning amount of threads and info on this forum I can only ask suggestions from y'all. My rear suspension bottoming out is annoying and I'd love to fix that, but I'm not necessarily looking to increase my height.

This board is rad, btw! Thanks in advance.

Oh... I'm in a 2005 Off road model :p

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Water pump, spark plugs, timing chain guides, clean the intake, trasmission flush, brake fluid flush, radiator flush, rear (and front) differential flush, transfer case flush...
Wheel hub bearing assembly, also do a deep wash and grease all greasable suspension parts, ball joints...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brilliant... thanks. I bought it new, so late 05 or early 06 maybe.

I've kept synthetic oil in it since the beginning. Also, in terms of suspension I don't want to replace if I don't need to, I'm sure I can get someone to look at it and tell me. If I DO have to get new suspension, I would want a solid quality off road suspension.

Wouldn't MIND new shocks that may make my hwy hydroplaning issue more controllable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ball joints...
as far as ball joints... man, either I've had a lot of folks around me with bad luck but i swear everyone that gets ball joints replaced or repaired they always end up with problems

should i get OEM or better quality after market?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No worries! I may be new to POST to this forum, but I'm not a stranger to forum speak. Some places adopt diff types of typing habits. I fell into the hashtag shyte because it ends up being a pretty convenient way to explain your angle with a single word or whatever.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I am going to make the assumption you replaced the rad or did the bypass? If not, do that first.

Shocks all the way around.

I would take a look also at the u-joints. Getting ready to do those in the near future myself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought my 06 X model used back in 2011, and within 3 months had to replace the rear hatch struts. Cheap, easy, and worth every penny.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts