Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I wanted to get some dialect started to help me decide if I'm going to buy a '14 Exterra PRO 4X or a Jeep Sahara. I'm 64. My wife is 62. Offroading is some sand and maybe an easy trail around Utah when we travel. Also I want the safety of 4wd on ice and snow. The only mods will be the largest BFG T/A KOs I can get under it.

Should I move this discussion to a different forum??

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Welcome, personally I think the xterra rides a little better than jeeps and, no offense here since I don't know how active or what kind of shape the two of you are in, the xterra is a little lower and easier to get in and out of.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
IMO, better on-road performance, too ... more usable as an 'all-around' vehicle. But really, the best way to compare would be to go drive one of each, in the model and configuration you're considering.

·
on line
1,113 Posts
Well both are very capable and will handle the terrain you described going on with ease and some stuff you didn't plan on. The xterra has a better drive on the highway with its independent front suspension over the jeep with a solid front axle.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
xterra sounds better for your NEEDS. i have owned wranglers, and they are fun, but sounds like 95% of the time you will be ON ROAD. the xterra will be a better all around choice. and......i do have a distaste for the jeep JK. the two i have owned, had interior water leaks that could not be fixed. really jeep?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the warm welcome. The responses lead me to believe this is a civil board with class. Sorry about the spelling. We are pretty health (except for my paralyzed left arm) so elevation isn't a problem. I have driven each but a 5 mile test drive doesn't tell me much. I was impressed with how far they have come with the power, quietness, and ride of the latest iteration of the Jeep. It was almost as good as the Xterra. The Jeep is a little more unique but for my purposes the Xterra seems to be a better choice. Maybe 40 years ago..... You guys are saying the same thing I've been thinking.

Ultimately the wife will make final decision. In the mean time I'll lurk around in here to see what I can learn

·
Registered
25 Posts
Redbone,

Welcome! As someone who's owned a few Jeeps in the past, I too was considering which would suit my needs, but after driving the X.. I was sold.

I am a new owner of an X myself and I don't believe I'll ever go back to another rig..

Hope it works out for you as well!

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The Xterra is better on the road but the Pro 4x is a waste of money IMO. Your best bet would be a Wrangler Unlimited S with 24 something package. Will have more goodies than the Xterra and be near/less than the Pro 4x. Honestly for sand and light trails you could do it in an Outback have more room than the Xterra and better mpgs. The Subaru AWD system is far superior to a 4wd system in foul weather like snow and ice and rain. You have to decide if you want a truck or a crossover.

Hey guys. I wanted to get some dialect started to help me decide if I'm going to buy a '14 Exterra PRO 4X or a Jeep Sahara. I'm 64. My wife is 62. Offroading is some sand and maybe an easy trail around Utah when we travel. Also I want the safety of 4wd on ice and snow. The only mods will be the largest BFG T/A KOs I can get under it.

Should I move this discussion to a different forum??

·
Registered
168 Posts
The Xterra is better on the road but the Pro 4x is a waste of money IMO. Your best bet would be a Wrangler Unlimited S with 24 something package. Will have more goodies than the Xterra and be near/less than the Pro 4x. Honestly for sand and light trails you could do it in an Outback have more room than the Xterra and better mpgs. The Subaru AWD system is far superior to a 4wd system in foul weather like snow and ice and rain. You have to decide if you want a truck or a crossover.

So I have too ask do you have a pro4x if not how would you know I have friends with jeeps and x's and my offroad 2010 6MT has pulled them all out and honestly its thenewx.org is a xterra forum so get the pro4x go manual then make fun of anyone who gets stuck while u make it look easy

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Don't have a Pro 4x- No #@%#@% way I'd pay $30k for a vehicle without heated mirrors and a temperature display. Except for shocks the suspension is the same as my S model and the slightly larger tires arent that big of a deal. Could care less about the locking diff as it might get used once or twice per year and the folding seat is no importance to me. The radio is the the only thing I might miss. The x is a good deal in S trim but at the price of the Pro 4x I'd honestly have gotten the Jeep . Getting stuck/not getting stuck is more a reflection of the driver than the vehicle. The OP asked for an opinion .

So I have too ask do you have a pro4x if not how would you know I have friends with jeeps and x's and my offroad 2010 6MT has pulled them all out and honestly its thenewx.org is a xterra forum so get the pro4x go manual then make fun of anyone who gets stuck while u make it look easy

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A Subaru won't work for us. We currently have a '06 Jeep Liberty 4x4. I put a 2.5" suspension lift and larger tires on it. It's been great for us but it is just barely wide enough for the 3 granddaughter safety seats. We need to go a little bigger. The Pro 4X package would be an unnecessary expense for me BUT I have an image to uphold. :iconbiggrin: We are piston heads around here. Current projects with my 2 sons are a Cobra kit car and working the bugs out of a 23' cat hull boat with two 300 h.p. Yamaha motors, both with stage 3 (75 h.p.) kits on them.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
It's been great for us but it is just barely wide enough for the 3 granddaughter safety seats.
That now being known, the rear seats are kinda cramped, can't imagine having to load and unload three child seats. Especially if you're tall, your driver seat is going to be cranked all the way back. If you could do it in a 1st gen you could do it in a 2nd, but it would get old pretty fast. I've sat on my own rear bench exactly five times and each time it was a hassle just to even maneuver myself through the doors. Fortunately I have no sympathy for my passengers :)

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I doubt you can get three seats in the Xtewrra- the back seat is cramped and narrow. I have one child seat and it is ok but three- doubt it would work and youd need mr elastic arms to reach the middle!

That now being known, the rear seats are kinda cramped, can't imagine having to load and unload three child seats. Especially if you're tall, your driver seat is going to be cranked all the way back. If you could do it in a 1st gen you could do it in a 2nd, but it would get old pretty fast. I've sat on my own rear bench exactly five times and each time it was a hassle just to even maneuver myself through the doors. Fortunately I have no sympathy for my passengers :)

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

There is a dog in the back as well. On our way back from a week stay in a cabin. We woke them up shortly after this picture. Roof rack is loaded and we had the kids bikes on a trail hitch rack. 13 year old, full baby seat and booster seat (6 year old). Might be tough to fit three wide but I have seen pics of it. The parent Nazis might have an issue with it but my parent drove me around in Datsun wagon in a play pen with the legs cut off. It is all a mater of perspective.

My wife talked me into a minivan for the 2nd vehicle but we still take the X sometimes... If we are going somewhere cool. :iconbiggrin:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
another former 4door wrangler owner here. I spend most of my time on road as well and the jeep leaked water and was drafty. It was also freezing cold in the winter and that made me rethink my decision. I traded it in on a Pathfinder but quickly realized that was too far in the other direction. Xterra is perfect for me and I love it everyday.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
another former 4door wrangler owner here. I spend most of my time on road as well and the jeep leaked water and was drafty. It was also freezing cold in the winter and that made me rethink my decision. I traded it in on a Pathfinder but quickly realized that was too far in the other direction. Xterra is perfect for me and I love it everyday.
I can't take the bad ride in jeeps, I drove my brothers for a week and all I remember was every time I hit a rough patch my knees were slammed into the door.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree that three seats will be very tight in an X. The X only has two sets of anchors and are biased towards the middle. I can't use the anchors with two seats and have a regular sized person sit in the middle. If you use the seat belts to secure the seats, someone can sit in the middle. Still not roomy though. I imagine the right combination of safety seats would fit. I cant imagine the back seat not being a bit wider than a liberty.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have one car seat in the rear and while it "can" fit two other passengers, they better be small. Forget three car seats, or two car seats and a passenger.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but if I had the extra money when I bought my X, I would have bought a newer 4 door Rubicon. They've come a LONG way over the last few years and now that Chrysler owns Jeep and has put a lot of their newer drivetrain components into them, plus changed the way they drive (the old Jeeps were horrible to drive long distances), they're definitely addressing the shortcomings of the previous models. BUT, there's a huge price difference between a $30k Pro-4X and a $43k loaded Rubicon X...

Money is always getting in the way. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts