Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive heard a slight rettle from time to time after i was sitting at a stop sign and then hit the gas to start moving again, or afgter its been parked a while and i get out and start going. Im not mashing the gas, just a nromal acceleration. Sounds like a rattle from underneath. Not sure how to describe it other than maybe something on or around the exhaust maybe? Im not sure. What would a diff sound like if it was about to take a dump?

·
on line
735 Posts
sounds like possible heat shield resonance. I get it sometimes full out in 3rd gear getting on the freeway at more than 5k rpms...sometimes. It could be possible something is coming loose in your muffler as well.

Have you made any changes to the exhuast? I've had cheap muffs fail in 6 months or so.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"sounds like possible heat shield resonance"

I think you may be correct mike. I havent touched the exhaust, so no changes there. I htink ill lie underneath when its cooled off to see if i can shake any noise out of it. But the more i thought about it, the more i though it was an exhaust thing. Ill let ya guys know what the hell i find out. Thanks.

·
on line
204 Posts
I hear a similar noise, only when the X has been sitting parked or not moving for a while. I always thought it was the ABS though.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
When I hit the gas I hear a sucking sound from my wallet. :blackeye:

·
on line
51 Posts
Offroad said:
mcampana said:
Auto............28k miles, 4 wheel drive
Some MTs report a rattling at 3K RPMs, but it's has to do with the clutch.
I've noticed this on my 07 6spd... :silent:

·
on line
238 Posts
It could be what the manual refers to as "spark knock" (uh, knock and ping technical term). It says its expected and means you are getting optimal fuel milage :shaking: No kidding, that comes straight from our Nissan manuals. Mine came in around 3k rpms with a slight bit of accelleration. Kinda like a little metallic rattle behind the dash area. I tried higher octane fuel and the knock, rattle, deminished. 93 almost completely eliminated it, but 89 does a decent job for me.

There is a whole other thread on this subject in the drivetrain section.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts