Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
on line
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've checked/done everything and still no love. Happens in cold and hot weather. I've got a noise that resembles stuff in the storage area bumping up against the plastic. It only occurs on semi rough road at city speeds. It appears to be coming from the passenger side of the storage area. I've tightened all bolts, checked all seat belts, and removed everything from the rear including the storage hatch and still nothing. Sat in the back of the x while the wife drove and still couldnt find it. Almost sounds like it could be in the liner or inside the moulding or panels. Sorry for the long post. Tried everything I could think of. What do you all think?

Todd

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Open the hatch, look up, smack the shit out of the panel on the rear hatch, if it clicks, that was your cure. Next time it happens, be armed with some double sided tape, use a flat bar, pry it up and put the tape in 4 - 5 spots and them smack it back. I tried to let dealer handle it, they tried new fasteners, it made it worse. MC

·
on line
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
usmc xterra said:
Open the hatch, look up, smack the shit out of the panel on the rear hatch, if it clicks, that was your cure. Next time it happens, be armed with some double sided tape, use a flat bar, pry it up and put the tape in 4 - 5 spots and them smack it back. I tried to let dealer handle it, they tried new fasteners, it made it worse. MC
Thanks, I'll give it a shot

·
on line
844 Posts
Todd is an excellent name man, your parents had equally good taste to mine :)

MC is right on, whack the ol' hatcheroo and then if that doesn't work, remove every dad gum interior panel you can in the back. also make sure your spare tire is tight, make sure the rear window wiper motor is secure under the hatch, make sure your first aid kit isn't bouncing around, etc.

my absolute greatest dislike in any car is rattling or noises. nothing drives me more crazy, not even fat girls wearing tight clothing.

also might want to check the liscense plate to make sure it's tight, make sure if you have a roof rack basket or anything like that it's secure, etc.

if you can find a road that you can replicate the noise on, have your girl/wife drive your x (shudder) and stand outside on the bumpy part that makes the noise. if the noise is audible outside the x then it's probably something on the outside because you usually can't hear interior noise from the outside (windows up)

keep us posted man!

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: --Do you have anything stored in your rear deck storage "bin" ???

--Do you have a trailer hitch ?? check the mounts and access plug--

--Do you still have beer cans tied to your rear bumper ???

-- :drunken: :drunken: --JIMBO

·
on line
844 Posts
it would be funny to leave "just married" on your back window and beer cans and such for like a year or two...

·
on line
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks guys. Pounded the shit out of the hatch today with no luck. I'll take the plastic off the gate this weekend and see what I can figure out.

·
on line
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gutted the exterior, removing the hatch plastic, the understorage area, and the driver side rear plastic moulding area. Only a few screws with a lot of the little plastic fasteners. I only took pics of the vent thing that was making the noise. It was 30 degrees and quite windy so I didn't mess with the pics. Many apollogies. Come to find out my noise was coming from inside the wheel weel, just behind the tire. Theres a black vent lookin thing thats excessible from inside or by removing the driver side exterior step (which i realized you can't remove without breaking the shit out of the fasteners/screws. Recommend removing the bumper to remove to the step.) Any hooter that vent looking thing slides up and down quite easily. It appears it was moving back and forth when traveling over somewhat bumpy roads at city speeds. I popped it out, applied some silicone to the edges and popped it back in. No issues yet. I ended up braking some shit, but I think I found the noise. Pics of the vent thing to follow. Thanks for the help

Todd

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Ahhh crap! 1st we have heard of this squeak! I'd tell the dealer about it, tell em you were drove nucking futs and had to fix it right then, and here is the damage, he may order the broken parts for ya for free.

Someone needs to do a how to for the removal of the corners. I'm going someplace I know I have a real good chance of ruining them, So I am going to buy a spare set and have em ready for install and maybe modify a set for OR fun. (Cut em so they look ok, but are more flexible for dropping off rocks.) MC

·
on line
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's Still There

Wasn't that vent thing (although the vent thing was making a noise when you shut the front door). Its still making the sound. It started again when I returned the hatch plastic. So off it goes again. I think it might be something around the interior handle/rear wiper motor deal. Hopefully won't break anything else

·
on line
232 Posts
You know.. I had noise issues in the rear too..... so I stopped eating Taco Bell and fixed the problem! :fart: BADONK DONK! UH Thank you!

·
on line
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PICS OF VENT THING AND SIDE STEP

http://picasaweb.google.com/TPillo/XTERRA02

Pic 1-Xterra in the lovely high desert of 29 Palms, CA

Pic 2 & 3- Vent thing removed from the inside of the fender well. You can remove it by accessing from the inside of the x after removing the plastic stuff. I removed the side step and pulled the vent out which tore the shit out of the step

Pic 4-Pic of vent from inside the x

Pic 5-Pic of vent from outside the x. I applied a bead of clear silicone around the gasket to prevent it from sliding up and down, which was the source of one of my many creaks and noises

Pic 6-Side Step that has 4 molded pieces on the top and side which had a plastic nut secured to it on the backside of the bumper (I thought it snapped out. It ripped the nuts off) 3 bottom pieces that jut out and slide into a rectangular nut thing protruding from the bumperj. (I jacked those up as well. And 2 more fastner things similar to the other 4 that were completely dismembered after pulling it on the right side (can't see them in the pic) Don't remove the side step without taking off the bumper.

All this and noise is still there. Thanks for the help with the disfiguring of hatch area and pic uploading.

Todd

·
on line
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
INTERMITTENT

usmc xterra said:
All that is under warranty. Take it in to dealer let them fix the squeak's.
MC
I've had it to the dealer twice now for other reasons, but of course it doesn't make the sound when I need it to. I'll talk to them and see if anyone else has had something similar.

·
on line
160 Posts
Seems like common sense, but maybe you overlooked it; If you've got the tie-down hooks in the back, make sure they're tight and not sliding back and forth.

·
on line
196 Posts
usmc xterra said:
This worked for me!!!!!!! HOOORAH!

·
on line
1,667 Posts
did you unscrew the roof rack for any reason? i made that mistake to run power to my KC's and now the one bolt spins freely. rattles like a b1tch.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Kal_El said:
usmc xterra said:
This worked for me!!!!!!! HOOORAH!
LOL Glad of that, That sqeak drove me nucking futs!

Hey did anyone get any pictures of that rack off? I kinda want to know how much you had to take off to get in there and all that. I'm kinda leary about removing the rack, that is why I used the hole in the roof trick.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts