Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just began to notice there is a knocking/clicking noise coming from the transfer case area as I drive at a slow speed; roughly parking lot speed. This issue, I think, began to happen after I used the 4 wheel drive last week in the snow storm. Any thoughts?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Moving this to the correct forum.

It could be a number of things. u-joint, bad TC or nothing in the driveline at all.
Have you listened for the sound while you are outside the car with someone else driving?

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It indeed sounds exactly like a baseball card stuck into a bike wheels' spokes. And it makes this sound from stop until I hit roughly 25mph, and then it is unnoticeable. I know it had to be right after using the 4-wheel drive last Friday in the snow storm. I started to troubleshot and found this....I'm unable to replicate this sound when in 4-wheel drive. I drive roughly 15mph, switch it into 4wheel, and the sound disappears at all speeds, but switching right back into 2wheel and back comes the sound.

Any more thoughts?

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would I be able to notice any visable, physical symptoms when looking at the U-joints on the drive shaft to indicate they're busted?

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took to the dealership today, and they diagnosed problem as bad u-joint on the front propellar shaft.

·
on line
191 Posts
Same this is happening with me. So far they have replaced the Transfer Case and U-joint. What a pain.

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update.....so at 33000 miles both front and back U-joints on the front propellar shaft have now been replaced. The dealership did it today, and the parts and labor were covered under the 5 year/60000 mile powertrain warranty. The service manager told me this job needed to be performed, because of basically what I consider to be a design flaw. When they designed the truck the engineers made the propellar shaft coming straight out of the front axle and straight into the TC; instead of having any slight angle at either end. This causes a lubrication issue and wears the bearing down faster than what would be considered normal. By the way, he said he has done a few of these already and that Nissan should be issueing a TSB for this.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Gosh Damn! Front diffs, rear diffs, t-cases, now u joints! What the hell is going on with the new X's? I thought the growing pains were done with by now. Are our trucks weak or are they just engineered wrong. This is actually depressing to read about all these troubles so early in the lives of the trucks.

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Actually, knock on wood, the ONLY issue(s) I have had w/ the X is when I had to replace the u-joints. Granted I have alignment issues now but I'm pretty sure that is due to the suspension mods so far. Hopefully Greg's UCA's & Radflo's will help this issue.

I have >62k miles and have def put my X through plenty of 'performane tests' off road!

·
on line
1,149 Posts
When they designed the truck the engineers made the propellar shaft coming straight out of the front axle and straight into the TC; instead of having any slight angle at either end. This causes a lubrication issue and wears the bearing down faster than what would be considered norma
Do you think this could be the reason behind these driveline vibrations after lifts? Lifting the rear is basically putting the shaft at much more of an angle coming from the T-case. I know shims help out the pinion angle but are shims doing anything regarding the u joints and the propeller shaft. I did happen to read somewhere that the vibes were actually coming from the u joints. Is this correct?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts